10 Gallon Batches, now it makes sense....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Until today, I would have said "what in the hell am I going to do with 10G of beer?" Then I went out to my stock of IPA and realized I've only got about 12 left, from a beer that's been drinkable for just over a month. I gave away about 10, I've been drinking one a day lately, doesn't take long to go.

10G batches for some beers might actually be necessary. I don't give away that much beer, but am looking forward to doing so in the future.

It's time to consider a bigger brew kettle when I go AG, maybe I'll actually have to invest in a keggle.

JUST DO IT!!!! I dont brew anything less than 10 gal when you think of the cost to fire up the system and spend the entire day brewing. It just makes sence
JJ

It'll definately be something I won't do until I go AG, just because of the cost of extract. It might even make sense with some big beers that I won't drink often, because I'll have some aged specimens on hand.

What do you brew your 10 gal batches in? Can you brew on your stove or do you have to brew on a turkey fryer?..Can you get the stove hot enough to have a rolling boil?

You'd have to have a turkey fryer. Even a good gas stove would take forever to boil 10G.

Banjo cooker all the way! I wouldn't even think of trying 5gal on my stove, it's pretty weak. I use an outdoor popane cooker.

I just started 10 g batches two month ago. I have learned this:
get a good burner for outside, I got the hurricane and it rocks
don't buy a kettle less then 20 gal unless you like boil overs cause you get a much better hot break with 10gs on a great burner. i started with a 15 gal kettle on a 12g boil and the hot break happened instantly over the top. If you got the cash just get the 20 g so you don't have to worry.
Oh and make an in-line water filter so you arent lugging water. Its a dream with that.

Latest posts

Back