What kind of tubing for mash tun to kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzombie

Reaction score
Finally my first mash...

I built a mash tun, but I only have regular vinyl siphon tubing running from the mash tun ball valve to the kettle. Is this safe for the high temperature wort or do I need to find some silicone tubing? I searched everywhere and haven't found any locally. If I can't find any, is it better to use the vinyl or just let the hot wort splash into the kettle (worried about hot side aeration)?

I used vinyl tubing for the longest time from the mash tun to BK (or collection vessel of choice). It didn't leech anything that I could taste and I'm still kicking. I do have this strange lump on the side of my neck though ............... kidding.

seriously though, i think it's fine for draining the mash. I eventually broke down and bought a couple feet of silicone (after a year of brewing).

not good. there are plenty of posts on how to make a mash tun drain hose or manifold.

Really? I can't find any posts...just references to not using vinyl. Will the reinforced vinyl tubing work? I think I saw some of it as home depot. Or is silicone the only option?

Order some silicone. I use the same three foot piece to go from the MT to the kettle, and then from the kettle to the CFC. I think it will last forever. Nice stuff.

Finally my first mash...

I built a mash tun, but I only have regular vinyl siphon tubing running from the mash tun ball valve to the kettle. Is this safe for the high temperature wort or do I need to find some silicone tubing? I searched everywhere and haven't found any locally. If I can't find any, is it better to use the vinyl or just let the hot wort splash into the kettle (worried about hot side aeration)?

vinyl tubing is fine.

vinyl tubing is fine.

I decided to go with braided vinyl for now. It's too hard to get anything else in Vancouver. The food safety rating is for 70 C, but is probably higher in reality (they always give low ratings just to be safe). My sparge water is added around 75 C, which is probably less than 70 C by the time is comes out.

Back