Floating Rafts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
Just a quick inquiry about yeast rafts.

I opened up a fermenter of Pale Ale yesterday to dry hop and pull a sample and there were numberous yeast rafts (think floating brown dumplings in soups). My only issue is that if they get disturbed even remotely, they break up and cloud up the beer, while the little chunks return to the surface.

I didn't have anything sanatized eexcept the baster I was pulling a sample with so I didn't have any way to really break them up.

My hydrosample was full of the yeast chunks and the beer still tasted damn good...just gross to look at.

Is there any way to get these guys to settle out, or should I rack to bottling bucket and try to keep them from the siphon/settle out in there?

Thanks for any advice.

Info:
Cultured Pacman
Fermented at 62-64 degrees for 24 days.
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.010

That happens with certain yeasts (IIRC, WLP002 and WLP005 do that to me).

Keep shaking, a couple times a day for a few days, and they'll all fall to the bottom. Either that, or try cold-crashing for a couple days; that should clear it up.

Back