Transplanting/Storing root ball through winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulasaurus

Reaction score
I'm in MN where temps are going to be close to and below freezing very soon. I'm moving soon so i'll have to dig up my root balls and store them through the winter and transplant them at their new home come spring. What is the best way of going about storing the root balls over the winter?

I have a 4 year Cascade plant, 3 year Columbus and Centennial plants, and 2 year Chinook, Zeus, Fuggle, and Nugget plants.

Was thinking of digging them up and storing them in cardboard boxes and keeping them cool and dry through the winter. Maybe just leave them in the garage or even outdoors under a tarp.

Anyone gone through a move and done the same? Would love to keep these plants going and I know they're tough enough plants to make the move I just want to be sure they stay alive through the winter best they can.

Thanks all

If you follow the typical model for such things, you'd take a large a ball as you can manage, and set the plant in a well shaded location so it doesn't go through any warming/freezing cycles. Then plant as soon as the ground becomes workable.

A garage may get too warm on occasion. Better to stick it up against the north side of your residence so it remains decidedly cold throughout the winter...

Cheers!

I would pot them if possible and water them well. Get some 3 or 5 gal. plastic nursery pots. You do not want to have them dry out.
I would store them in a garage because it would be a zone or two warmer. It might not be necessary to keep them inside but it is just something I would do. I would not worry about the temp. fluctuations in a garage because in an unheated garage in the midwest, the ball will be froze solid anyway and will not thaw in an afternoon.
I keep my hybrid tea roses in pots in summer and put in the garage in the winter and have not lost one to temp. fluctuations so I would think hops would survive just fine.

Well in the garage is not possible as I use it for auto repairs and brewing. Both of which I run an electric heater to warm up the garage.

I'm thinking of digging them up and keep as much dirt with them as I can. Then placing them all in a tarp and putting them on the north side of the new house till spring when I can get them in the ground.

Another option which is starting to look better and better is leaving them and coming back for them come spring. Plans are to rent out my current house so it shouldn't be an issue to come back and get them as long as I let the new tenants know. This option would be far better my plants in the end.

Thanks for the input everyone

Back