Strawberry Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmtierney3rd

Reaction score
I am fairly new to all grain brewing and though it is out of season, I am looking to get into brewing with fresh/frozen fruit. My concept was to do a strawberry honey wheat. I going to add all the fruit to the secondary. I am thinking of using honey malt at about 10% by weight to get the honey flavor imparted. Not sure if that is too much or not enough? My concern is being able to get the honey notes through the fresh fruit flavor. When using honey malt to I have to start my mash at a lower temperature around 120-130 for 20min first or can I jump right in at 155 for 60min

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on what yeast strains they favor for wheat beers with fresh fruit? I was leaning towards using a Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen but I am worried that the focculation is too low.

Also playing with the idea of adding some biscuit malt but think it will be useless in a wheat beer. Thoughts?

Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated.

I am also looking to brew a wheat beer with some sort of fruit. I have the same questions as you and also I am wondering when the best time to add the fruit (boil vs secondary). If adding to the secondary should the fruit be pasteurized?

Back