The time is nearing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nexus555

Reaction score
Well, as I just mentioned in my other post, my ingriedents will be here on Saturday! What a fun day that will be!! I found a cooking supply store that sells long stainless steal spoons. I think that's the only thing left that I need! I actually went and bought a stainless steal fine strainer, to strain the hops and junk when pouring wort into the primary. LOL SWMBO is wondering when this buying of items will end.. little does she know! hehehe.

Anyways, I do have some questions before I brew (I'm sure I'll have another post of questions before the brew, lol.) Here it goes again:

1.) I bought One Step for sanitation. Well right after I ordered it with my ingriedents, I read a debate post about whether or not it is even a sanitizing agent or not. Well, do you think this will get me through my first batch ok without contamination? I'd have to wait another week until I would receive any other sanitizer in the mail.

2.) Airlock question - Exactly how much water do you put in to those things?

3.) What sanitizing agent would you recommend for my second batch?

4.) I forgot to order a second packet of yeast in case of yeast problems. Think I might be okay? =(

5.) When taking a hydrometer reading, exactly how much wort should I put in the tube? Just enough to float it?

6.) Would just pouring the wort through the strainer and into the primary vigorously be enough oxygen? My primary is a 6.5 gallon plastic, secondary 5 gallon carboy. I read something about shaking it for 5 minutes, but I think that applies to carboys?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks guys, I'm so excited!!!!

Nexus555 said:
Well, as I just mentioned in my other post, my ingriedents will be here on Saturday! What a fun day that will be!! I found a cooking supply store that sells long stainless steal spoons. I think that's the only thing left that I need! I actually went and bought a stainless steal fine strainer, to strain the hops and junk when pouring wort into the primary. LOL SWMBO is wondering when this buying of items will end.. little does she know! hehehe.

Anyways, I do have some questions before I brew (I'm sure I'll have another post of questions before the brew, lol.) Here it goes again:

1.) I bought One Step for sanitation. Well right after I ordered it with my ingriedents, I read a debate post about whether or not it is even a sanitizing agent or not. Well, do you think this will get me through my first batch ok without contamination? I'd have to wait another week until I would receive any other sanitizer in the mail.

2.) Airlock question - Exactly how much water do you put in to those things?

3.) What sanitizing agent would you recommend for my second batch?

4.) I forgot to order a second packet of yeast in case of yeast problems. Think I might be okay? =(

5.) When taking a hydrometer reading, exactly how much wort should I put in the tube? Just enough to float it?

6.) Would just pouring the wort through the strainer and into the primary vigorously be enough oxygen? My primary is a 6.5 gallon plastic, secondary 5 gallon carboy. I read something about shaking it for 5 minutes, but I think that applies to carboys?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks guys, I'm so excited!!!!

1. Star-San is just fine, that's what I use.
2. there should be a line to fill it to. Is it an S-shaped airlock or a 3 piece airlock? both have a line to fill the water/sanitizer/vodka up to. use either of the 3, I use sanitzer.
3. Star-San
4. You'll be fine, make a starter!
5. enough to make the hydrometer float in that tube. throw away the sample after you are done with it, do not add it back in to the rest of the batch.
6. that should be enough. you want a frothy head on top, that will tell you it's been aerated properly. I don't shake for 5 min.

Good luck! :rockin:

I like to fill my hydrometer to the brim, blow off the suds and top off. Makes it easier for these old eyes to see. I drink my sample. I dunno, just kind of like the Dr. Dimentia factor of drinking out of one of those little tubes. Todd is right...don't add it back to the wort.

I like to use spiced rum for my air locks. Makes a nice smell and the colored liquid is easier to view from farther away.

I areate (when using my bucket) with a sterilized stainless steel whisk. Get up there and swish it around like crazy for a few minutes and you'll have a nice froth.

Enjoy the process. Take some pictures. HAHB. :ban:

Make sure your wort is cooled down to 75 (or below) before pitching your yeast.

Latest posts

Back