Will somebody very familiar with ipa's critique this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebamaking

Reaction score
i was hoping somebody would critique this recipe and help me make it end up how i want it to end up. i would like to have a medium bodied, overwhelmingly hoppy ipa. i love two hearted ale and hop ottin ipa, but would like to add a little more body and more hoppiness.

Partial mash

5 lb extra light dme
1 lb maris otter pale malt
2 1/2 lb organic 2-row malt
1 lb vienna malt
1 lb crystal 20L

steep 45 min at 155, 60 min boil

1 oz chinook 60 min
1 oz centennial 60 min
1 oz centennial 30 min
.25 tsp irish moss 10 min
1 oz centennial 5 min

California Ale WLP001 Yeast

Primary 12 days, secondary 21 days dry hopped with 2 oz centennial, 1 oz amarillo.

Please feel free to make any suggestions, and i really appreciate any help.

I like your grain bill.

I think the hopping looks more bitter, and less "hoppy", though. For hops flavor, you want to add the hops at 20 minutes or less. The 60 minute and 30 minute additions will give you bitterness. I didn't calculate the IBUs, but you probably want +/- 60 IBUs in a 1.060 beer. The Two Hearted clone I'm drinking now is 58 IBUs in a 1.063 beer. The recipe wasn't mine, it was eschatz's, but I tweaked it a bit.

Here's the recipe:
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
2 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L

1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 34.7 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (15 min) Hops 15.7 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (5 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (1 min) Hops 1.4 IBU

1.00 oz Centennial (Dry hop)

Getting about 35 IBUs from the 60 minute hops, and the rest in the late addition hops give firm bitterness, and great hops flavor.

That will DEFINITELY work.

I prefer some crystal 40-60 L in mine.

My last one had 2 lbs of crystal, with that much bitterness, it really works well.

i figured somebody would say to dry hop for way less like 10 days or so. and thank you very much for mentioning the addition at 20 or less minutes that is going to help me a lot because i am looking for that floral hoppy flavor more than the bitterness from them. and i also LOVE crystal malts i might think about upping that a little. I just wanted it aged well is why i thought longer in the secondary...so should i up the primary time to 3 weeks and secondary for 10 days or what would yall recommend?

so i'm guessing for the floral citrusy hop aroma im looking for the hop schedule needs to be more like:

1 oz chinook 60 minutes
1 oz centennial 30 minutes
1 oz centennial 15 minutes
1 oz centennial 5 minutes

would this achieve more of what im looking for?

Will somebody very familiar with ipa's critique this recipe?

That excludes me from critiquing. I am just following along to learn.

I have 3 IPA attempts in process atm, and don't know how any of them have turned out yet, so I hope you get some answers for us! I have done a hop schedule similar to #6 post, another attempt with similar hops at 60, 30, 20, 15, 10, 5, and 0 minutes.

Dry hopped the first two and tried a Hop Tea on the last 2. Might skip the dry hops on the last Hop Tea version for comparison.

i meant flavor...i'm a hophead i haven't had a beer that is hoppy enough for me yet...it might be because i live in alabama and the selection isn't the greatest, and it also might be that the general public doesn't like the flavor of hops or over hopping like i do. hop ottin ipa from anderson valley brewing company is the closest i've found to what i want. two hearted ale is great also.

I'm not a fan of 30 minute hop additions, unless I'm looking for more bitterness. I'd still recommend adding more hops late, like at 10, 5, 0 minutes (or 15, 5 and 1) and ditching the 30 minute hops. If you have some brewing software to check the IBU calculations, that would be best

Dryhopping for 7-10 days is good.

Looks good generally. I would recommend not dry hopping for 21 days and further to start drinking the beer right after dry hopping (with as little time as needed for carbonation). Commercial breweries tend to dry hop between 5 and 14 days, I would stick within that range.

Centennial and Amarillo in the dry hop will make for a very citrusy/grapefruity beer, just FYI. I like a little simcoe in my IPAs and would go with centennial/simcoe or amarillo/simcoe in the dry hop. To me the addition of simcoe/columbus/etc is the hallmark of a (very) modern IPA but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with a citrus bomb.

I'd move the 30 minute add to flameout or 2 minutes.

[Contrary to popular opinion, I like hoppy beers that are supposed to be hoppy.:p]

Back