Use Hefe Yeast Cake for Dunkel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ommegosh

Reaction score
Hello

I have batch of Hefeweizen using Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068 liquid yeast pretty much done in primary, my next brew will be a Dunkelweizen and I would like to re use the 3068 as I like the same flavor profile in both Hefes and Dunkels. It seems like these styles are a good fit for re-use especially in this order, but I have never tried re-use in any way. I would prefer to pitch on the yeast cake just after racking the hefe off, and my questions is will I need to anything special to get the yeast re-activated or can I just simply pour the wort onto the cake and then shake the primary fermenter.

Thank you in advance

Actually that is preferable. Believe me, there's nothing you need to do outside of racking the hefe off, capping it with a bung until it's ready, and then just pouring the dunkelweizen right on top. You will have the shortest lag time you'll ever see, I guarantee it. I usually have activity 30 minutes after I dump the wort onto it. It's freakin' awesome.

The only thing I will say, though, is that you need to pay special attention to fermentation temps and possible blowoffs...because this bad mf'er will ferment VERY vigorously. Also, don't be surprised if it's finished fermenting in 24-48 hours.

Make sure you are pitching the wort on that cake at UNDER 68°F and keep it there. If you get into the 70's with that yeast you'll be drinking banana beer.

You certainly can. As others have mentioned already, be prepared for a very agressive fermentation.

Anyone else concerned that it may be a bit TOO much yeast? I pitched a Hefe onto about 2/3 of a WLP300 cake from a previous Hefe.

sirsloop Make sure you are pitching the wort on that cake at UNDER 68°F and keep it there. If you get into the 70's with that yeast you'll be drinking banana beer.

Your going to have banana in a hefe anyway but do control the temp.

ohiobrewtus You certainly can. As others have mentioned already, be prepared for a very agressive fermentation.

Anyone else concerned that it may be a bit TOO much yeast? I pitched a Hefe onto about 2/3 of a WLP300 cake from a previous Hefe

I think its too much yeast. Your putting 3000ml or more of thick slurry in a beer with a gravity of about 1.053. The rate pitch calculator calls for 95ml.

Back