Thoughts on hops for an Alt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew my first Alt. I have some Tettnang hops and also some Mt. Hood. I have read that Mt. Hood is similar to Hallertua???

And what about a hop schedule for a 5.5 gallon batch? I was thinking of;

.75 ounce Mt. Hood - 60 minutes
1.00 ounce Mt. Hood - 30 minutes
1.00 ounce Tettnang - 5 minutes (aroma)

Beersmith has that at 31.3 IBU's. Am I too heavy on the aroma for this style?

Grain is;
4# Munich
4# German pale
.75# Caramich I
.50# Carapils

Mash temp 150 for 75 minutes.

Yeast is 1007 German Ale.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

I have never used Mt. Hood, but have heard it is a sub for Hallertau. The hop additions look good. Should be well within the range for the style, which is fairly broad compared to other German styles.

I made two batches recently, and used gelatin on one and not on the other. The 1007 is low floc yeast.

I use only Munich malt and 2 hop additions, 60 min and 5 minute. About 1 ounce each. The hops are fairly subtle in mine and I think it could handle 1 more addition easily.

Mt. Hood is a sub for Hallertau although; you could use the Tettnang for the Alt. It may play a little better with the malty profile of the beer.
This beer should have almost no hop aroma and if it does it should be a low amount. Maybe use the Tettnang to bitter and the Hallertau as an aroma addition say ¼ - ½ ounce.

Personally, I far prefer 1007 to the White alt yeast. 1007 seems to come across more crisp.

I'd lose the 5 min. hop addition. Alts don't have much hop aroma generally.

I would use spalt if you have a choice, if not then tettnang at least for the flavor hops.

i might go heavier on the 60 minute addition. you can easily do 40 IBUs in an alt. spalt if you can get it. and maybe cut back a bit on the 5 minute, though i don't think it would be offensive, just not strictly to style.

Back