Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You bet! What is the measurements?

Looks good! Congrats on the win!! I was wondering what the M*A*S*H was all about... Yes I use the 15" in my boil as well as the mash tun! Works killer!!
Cheers
Jay

i just took my measurments. I need a flat piece of sheet 11 1/4 x 21 1/4. I can probably radius the corners. Idea is to just lay this flat on top of my copper manifold in the bottom to minimize channeling.

Thanks

Thanks Jay. False bottom with hinge and handle, SS dip tube, and Home Brewed bottle openers are great. Brewed 2 back-to-back batches with the new FB on Father's day. Perfect.

BTW, I don't bother with the compression fitting nut and rings. I just insert the tube into the threaded coupling (half of the compression fitting I guess).

IMG_04451.JPG

Thanks Jay. False bottom with hinge and handle, SS dip tube, and Home Brewed bottle openers are great. Brewed 2 back-to-back batches with the new FB on Father's day. Perfect.

BTW, I don't bother with the compression fitting nut and rings. I just insert the tube into the threaded coupling (half of the compression fitting I guess).

IMG_04451.JPG

Back to back batches huh? Be careful, you just may get addicted to this crazy little hobby! :D:D:D

Does anyone use these in igloo mash tuns?
I build many of these for Igloo, Gott and Rubermade cooler mash tun conversions, both 5 gallon and 10 gallon. They are custom cut for your cooler as not all coolers are the same..

And can you boil wort with this in place in a keggle.

Yes you can as many people here can tell you, they use this in the boil kettle as well.

I use a 15" hinged in my mash tun and my boil kettle. In the Mash I can flow at full rate if I like and never stick the mash. In the Boil I use whole hops and pellet hops and I just toss em' in the kettle without a bag. I get a little of the pellet hops through but very little.

Cheers
Jay

One other question. I got my keggle directly from sabco with the valve installed there. Is the dip tube easy to connect to it?

One other question. I got my keggle directly from sabco with the valve installed there. Is the dip tube easy to connect to it?

Yes. It's a little tricky at first, but once you've done it a few times it's not hard. The trick is to remove (and also install) the dip tube and screen as one unit. You can't put the screen in first, then add the dip tube.

Although there is a compression fitting which allows you to attach / remove the dip tube fairly easily, I found that it was easier to just screw the compression fitting into the keggles adapter but NOT use the compression nut. You'll see.

I also build the dip tubes custom for your system, so it really doesn't matter where or how your keg is set up. I have a formula that I use, I only need 2 measurements from you and I do the rest.
Jay

For those of you that are using the 15" hinged with a hole and a dipube, I am now drilling the hole off center 1/4" still splitting the sheered edge. So its dead center from the edge to the spit but off center 90* out from the split. What this does is gives you a better fit and you dont have to be quite as perfect on the measurement for the diptube. You can spin the false bottom and have 3 measurement options. Just 1 more way I am trying to get you guys custom equipment for your kettles that fit like a glove!

Ohh and dont miss out on the free shipping for the rest of August. I started a new thread just for that.https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/free-shipping-264159/
Cheers
Jay

My Jaybird 15" false bottom will be deflowered tomorrow with a 10 gallon American Pale Ale. So far I am very impressed with the quality of material and workmanship. I will let you know how the brew day goes. I wish I could have gotten in on the free shipping, maybe next time.
Thanks,
Max

My Jaybird 15" false bottom will be deflowered tomorrow with a 10 gallon American Pale Ale. So far I am very impressed with the quality of material and workmanship. I will let you know how the brew day goes. I wish I could have gotten in on the free shipping, maybe next time.
Thanks,
Max

Max

Well...How did it go?

Cheers
Jay

Max

Well...How did it go?

Cheers
Jay

The brew went very well. I had around 20 pounds of grain in my keg mash tun and I had no issues with a stuck sparge. Just to experiment I opened up my march pump all the way for a few minutes while recirculating. I probably could have left it wide open the whole time, no slow down at all. Awesome product. One of the best brewing purchases I have made. I hit around 75% efficiency using a single infusion single sparge mash. My previous stainless steel braid was very susceptible to stuck mashes, even with 5 gallon batches. It doesn't appear this will be a problem for me in the future. Thanks for the awesome product and great service. Will definitely send business your way in the future.

The brew went very well. I had around 20 pounds of grain in my keg mash tun and I had no issues with a stuck sparge. Just to experiment I opened up my march pump all the way for a few minutes while recirculating. I probably could have left it wide open the whole time, no slow down at all. Awesome product. One of the best brewing purchases I have made. I hit around 75% efficiency using a single infusion single sparge mash. My previous stainless steel braid was very susceptible to stuck mashes, even with 5 gallon batches. It doesn't appear this will be a problem for me in the future. Thanks for the awesome product and great service. Will definitely send business your way in the future.

I usually brew 10 gallon batches, so my grain bills are 25-30 lbs for a pale ale. I always recirculate with a March 809HS full speed through my RIMS the entire duration of the mash. Only had one stuck mash, but it was mostly wheat. Jaybird's FB's are robust and top notch. Don't hesitate to let that pump rip!

Great to hear it went well! Thanks for the business!
I love to see a plan come together!

I usually brew 10 gallon batches, so my grain bills are 25-30 lbs for a pale ale. I always recirculate with a March 809HS full speed through my RIMS the entire duration of the mash. Only had one stuck mash, but it was mostly wheat. Jaybird's FB's are robust and top notch. Don't hesitate to let that pump rip!

Pickles
I admit it. I stuck a wheat a long time ago too.... 60% wheat 35%pale and 5% misc grain..... No rice hulls and a 12" false bottom. It stuck so damn tight, it took me about 30 min to loosen it up and get the rice hulls mixed in so it could flow. Beer turned out killer though...

Yep, similar grain bill to mine. I defy any FB maker to claim there's will perform better under those conditions. Truth is that it's too much to ask of a FB without ricehulls and the like. At that point it's all about the mash and has little if anything to do with the FB.

Yep, similar grain bill to mine. I defy any FB maker to claim there's will perform better under those conditions. Truth is that it's too much to ask of a FB without ricehulls and the like. At that point it's all about the mash and has little if anything to do with the FB.

Well said! I humbly agree :D

Just got my 12" false bottom in the mail. It's a thing of beauty. For the price Jay and Victor offer, its almost impossible to buy a 12"x12" stainless steel sheet of this grade and hole spacing, nevermind cutting it with what looks like a plasma cutter, and adding a handle. Can't wait to use it!

I got a false bottom, dip tube and weldless ball valve kit from norcalbrewing. There were no instructions included with the weldless kit so I'm just wondering what order everything goes in. Is it coupler, washer, O-ring, keg wall then ball valve or does the o ring go on the outside?

I got a false bottom, dip tube and weldless ball valve kit from norcalbrewing. There were no instructions included with the weldless kit so I'm just wondering what order everything goes in. Is it coupler, washer, O-ring, keg wall then ball valve or does the o ring go on the outside?

We are adding to our "how to" section on our site, pictures of exactly how those are going together. I Sent you an e-mail... But since we are here, it is just like you said.
coupling, stainless washer, silicone O ring, keg then ball valve and barbed nipple.

Cheers
Jay

I agree. I'm about to finally get my "brutus" clone wrapped up. I hope to be brewing by the end of this month. Any deals on false bottoms and dip tubes coming soon??

Any deals coming over the horizon? I'm close to needing one of these.

I agree. I'm about to finally get my "brutus" clone wrapped up. I hope to be brewing by the end of this month. Any deals on false bottoms and dip tubes coming soon??

I would love to guys but I am slammmmmed at the store right now and it would probably put me over the top if I did one right now....
I will offer one up before Dec for you guys. Just because you asked.....:)

You guy ever do a domed false bottom?

Nope...I do however sell the domed ones in my store from Fermentap that you see everywhere.
Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay. One question, is a false bottom the way to go in the boil or do you have a different "hop stopper" kind of option??

Thanks Jay. One question, is a false bottom the way to go in the boil or do you have a different "hop stopper" kind of option??

It really depends on what your trying to stop. Whole vs Pellet, and how much. Are you using 3 oz in a 10 gallon batch or are you using 20?

Jay

Me too! I have talked a few of my friends into ordering these fb's, now its my turn...

Do you have the fitment perfected for the usual 15.5g US Microstar style kegs or do I still need to measure? I want to get the 15" fb with hinge, handle, and diptube as soon as the next deal comes around.

Jay,

Let's assume 20oz whole and pellets as a worse case scenario. What would you recommend?? Do you have a product that will work??

Thanks

Jeremiah

Jay,

Let's assume 20oz whole and pellets as a worse case scenario. What would you recommend?? Do you have a product that will work??

Thanks

Jeremiah

Yep the 15" hinged with the hop halter insert. Add a handle for easy access and removal. The 15" will stop all the whole hops and the halter will do the rest.

Cheers
Jay

Jay, does the hop halter have SS screen on the top too? I'm trying to envision how this goes together with the false bottom and dip tube. Any more pics other than the one on your site that could provide a clearer picture?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back