aquarium temp control thermostat question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAguy89

Reaction score
I searched through a number of the aquarium temp control builds, and in every one it is wired into a outlet. is there a reason i can't just connect the two wires that go to the thermostat to the same two points that would be wired to the outlet and achieve the same effect. In fact this seems like it would be much easier?

It would be fine, but I think most people wire outlets because they make plugging anything into them a nice convenience.

Most fridges, etc already have a cord that plugs right in. There is no reason you can't wire it directly to the appropriate wires inside the fridge.

You'd want to wire the thermostat wires to the two switch terminals on the controller, not to the ones that go to the outlet. Then you'd still need to supply power to the controller. Not sure that it's any easier, and a lot of people like the idea of a self contained controller. Some people also use the controllers for sous vide, smokers, and other things when it's not in use controlling the fridge.

Thanks for the help, also the inside light is not connected, i bet i could wire the power cord for the light to power the controller. yes/no?

Back