Spent Grain?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennaMarie

Reaction score
We've been doing all grain for a few weeks now (yaaayyy!) and we're running into a welcomed issue.. SO MUCH spent grain!

SO! My question is...

What do you do with your spent grain?? Recipes welcome:)

I'm looking more for recipes that I can use with dried, ground grain (through the coffee grinder), however I'm very open to wet recipes too!! Let me know what you come up with!

Drink irresponsibly,

Jenna

My way
1 package of yeast
3/4 cup water
1 cup wet spent grain (warm ok, but not hot) right out of the tun
1.5 flour
Mix it well cover and leave overnight.
then add;
1 cup water, using 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup milk give it more sponge like bread
2tsp salt
2tbsp honey, or 4tbsp dme
4 cups flour
mix, knead till it feels bouncy
put in greased bowl cover let rise till doubled
punch down, knead and form loaves, I put on tiles dusted with corn meal, and cover with greased plastic
after an hour to raise bake at 450 for 12-15 min, or 6min in stone oven
brush with butter 7 min for a softer crust or spray with water for a harder crust

I also grow mushrooms with it

I make dog treats with mine....

4 cups of spent grains
2 cups of flour
1 cup of peanut butter
2 eggs

Mix everything together thoroughly and press down into a dense layer on a large cookie sheet (protip: use parchment paper...)
Score into squares or use a cookie cutter if you like fun shapes
Bake for 30 mins at 350 F to solidify
Remove from the cookie sheet and break apart into the shapes you cut out
Return to the oven and turn it down to 225 F and continue baking for 3-4 hours... or until they're really dry. You want them dry to prevent mold growth.
Store dry in an airtight container or ziplock bag.

They keep forever, I've made some in March that are still good. My golden retriever loves them :D

I have a yard waste bin that I use. The garbage collector comes once a week and picks it up. They have a hydraulic hoist that picks it up and it gets recycled by them. One or four cups of grain in a recipe wouldn't make a dent in a 30 lb grain bill.

Normally I compost the grains, but it can accumulate quickly. I've also made bread, which while it tasted good, I could never get over the sharp edges from the husks. If you are able to mill or grind them, they would definitely be excellent in bread. The last thing I've done is make dog biscuits out of them. phidelt1499's recipe is from the latest issue of BYO (at least that's where I got it). I made a double batch (makes about 100 medium-sized), but still had lots of grain left over. Dogs love it, and it really doesn't taste too bad....perhaps a touch of honey and they'd make a good people snack :)

I give my spent grains to a neighbor who has chickens and turkeys. He gives me fresh eggs in return. I'm bartering with spent grain, NOT with homebrew! :D

My way
1 package of yeast
3/4 cup water
1 cup wet spent grain (warm ok, but not hot) right out of the tun
1.5 flour
Mix it well cover and leave overnight.
then add;
1 cup water, using 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup milk give it more sponge like bread
2tsp salt
2tbsp honey, or 4tbsp dme
4 cups flour
mix, knead till it feels bouncy
put in greased bowl cover let rise till doubled
punch down, knead and form loaves, I put on tiles dusted with corn meal, and cover with greased plastic
after an hour to raise bake at 450 for 12-15 min, or 6min in stone oven
brush with butter 7 min for a softer crust or spray with water for a harder crust

I also grow mushrooms with it

How do you grow mushrooms with spent grains. Details please.

I let the deer eat it. Or just pitch it.

I've made the bread. I dislike the husks in my teeth.

I've made the dog treats. I dislike dog farts.

Good one, thanks, it really made me laugh. For a second I thought of making dog treats and then you reminded me of what my dog can do when he gets the "right diet".
-Jefe-

I tried making bread with it, but it adds nothing special and I find that my bread is way better without it. So, I feed it to my chickens, put it in the garden, and put some with my chicken poop for composting.

I extract brew so my spent grains are minimal. I give them to my mom but even her craftiness can't keep up with all the grain I give her.

I can't even imagine what you AG guys go through.

Can't you just spread them out on your grass as fertilizer?

+1 on the "how to" mushrooms please! ( hope its mushrooms and not "pshycadelic shrooms" :fro:)

I think the way to get started growing is to get a kit first to learn the process
but the basics are the same

1. get the grain to the right moisture
  2. sterilize it
  3. inoculate it
  4. once fully populated spread it out on peatmoss
  5. keep the temp and moisture level
  6. get it grow

here is a good place to start
and here

I thought about the dog treats but we feed out dogs grain free food so they probably shouldn't get it in treats either. I also laughed at the dog fart post.. laughed pretty hard actually!

Thanks for all of the ideas... and if anyone else has any... Keep them coming!!

What ever you do, don't let it sit out on the counter to dry for days. It ends up rotting and making my house smell real bad when you do that.

Yeah... Learned that one the hard way. Three days on the counter... No good! Last batch was in the oven a few hours last night drying and I'll finish them tonight!

I think the way to get started growing is to get a kit first to learn the process
but the basics are the same

1. get the grain to the right moisture
  2. sterilize it
  3. inoculate it
  4. once fully populated spread it out on peatmoss
  5. keep the temp and moisture level
  6. get it grow

here is a good place to start
and here

Man......................mushroom growing is much more complicated then Beer makin!!......
Ill just stick to the "cheap" thrills;)

I live in an apartment so I can't compost them or get chickens to feed it to. Instead I just toss them outside by the handful so that they spread well. Can't really be seen in the grass so no angry notes from the landlords. The birds get some but I suspect most of it decomposes and fertilizes the grass.

Grains dried! Finally. Now to use my teenie tiny coffee grinder to smoosh them to little pieces...

I dump in in the yard. The field mice come to eat it and then my wife's cats eat the mice. No deer here but if there were I'd be waiting during hunting season w/my 3006

Just finished a spent grain/second runnings pizza grilled on the bbq....mmmm

Next brew day, run off an extra gallon of wort into a separate pot. Throw some of the grain in the food processor. Take your favorite pizza dough recipe, replace the water and any sugar (if called for) with the second runnings. Take half a cup of the spent grains and mix it in. You might have to add a little extra flour to compensate for the extra moisture.

Dogs also got their obligatory spoonful of grain out of the mash tun, and a fresh batch of spent grain peanut butter treats.

Now I need to use the rest of the second runnings to mix up some spent grain bread to bake later this week.

Yup, same here and same recipe. Not only do my dogs love them, but we send goodie bags out to friends as well. Haven't found a pooch that didn't love them yet!

Jaz

I make dog treats with mine....

4 cups of spent grains
2 cups of flour
1 cup of peanut butter
2 eggs

Mix everything together thoroughly and press down into a dense layer on a large cookie sheet (protip: use parchment paper...)
Score into squares or use a cookie cutter if you like fun shapes
Bake for 30 mins at 350 F to solidify
Remove from the cookie sheet and break apart into the shapes you cut out
Return to the oven and turn it down to 225 F and continue baking for 3-4 hours... or until they're really dry. You want them dry to prevent mold growth.
Store dry in an airtight container or ziplock bag.

They keep forever, I've made some in March that are still good. My golden retriever loves them :D

Drinking bottled: Oatmeal Stout, Chubby Treerat, Sierra Madre Pale Ale
Drinking kegged: Innkeeper LE
Aging: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Primary: Nothing
On Deck: Octoberfest Ale, ...

Put them in the compost, where the little creatures eat them, and the little creatures are then eaten by the coyotes, and the coyotes keep the deer away from my garden.

OK! Here's what I ended up doing...

3 3/4 C Bread flour
1/2 C Dried, ground spent grain (ran it through my coffee grinder after ample time in the oven)
1 Yeast Packet
1/4 tsp Salt
1 1/2 C Warm water (But my dough was dry, I think I was closer to 2C)
A sprinkle of sugar just for kicks

Mixed all of the dry ingredients together
Added water
Let the KitchenAid and the bread hook do their work

It's now sitting on top of the stove (which is warmed at 425 for dinner... conveniently) with a towel on top to rise for 2.5 hours.

Then I'll knead it, shape it, and put it in the oven for ~30min at 425F.

Anyway... just wanted to keep everyone updated. I'll let you all know how it goes!!

IMAG0279.jpg

Bread!!

I need some work in shaping them and making them look good, but here they are! I'll let you all know how they taste!

:D

IMAG0281.jpg

Back