Two of my three beers placed...Woo Hoo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It was a local club sponsored competition and it was for charity, but I felt pretty good about a 2nd and 3rd out of 85 entries and and getting honorable mention in the "Best of Show".

The categories look a little strange because they took all of the BJCP styles and categorized them into five groups. Each beer fell into one of those five groups, but was judged against the specific category/sub category according to BJCP.

Here's the posting extract from the club website.
2008 St. Louis Microfest Homebrew Competition Winners

Best New Brewer
James B. ***** - Arnold, MO

Best-of-Show
Michael ***** - Imperial IPA
Second Place
August ***** - Other Smoked Beer (Smoked Weizen)
Third Place
Brian ***** - Berliner Weiss
Honorable Mention
BierMuncher - Russian Imperial Stout

Light Lager
First Place
August ***** - Other Smoked Beer (Smoked Weizen)
Second Place
Sean ***** - Classic Rauchbier
Third Place
Dave ***** - Vienna Lager

Dark Lager
First Place
Gene ***** - Traditional Bock
Second Place
Bruce & Sherry ***** - Traditional Bock

Light Ale
First Place
Michael ***** - Imperial IPA
Second Place
Mike ***** - American Amber Ale
Third Place
BierMuncher - American Pale Ale (my haus pale ale...maybe I should post this recipe...:D)

Dark Ale
First Place
Bryan ***** - American Brown Ale
Second Place
BierMuncher - Russian Imperial Stout (RIS-888)
Third Place
August ***** - Roggenbier

Summer Beer
First Place
Brian ***** - Berliner Weiss
Second Place
Sean ***** - Kolsch
Third Place
August ***** - Wit

The Best-of-Show winners listed above are the best three beers overall out of all of the entries. This is not something that was listed on the entry form for the competition, but as the organizer, I did not see the point of holding a competition and not selecting the best three beers. This was done by evaluating the top two entries in each of the five main categories. The Honorable Mention was demanded by the Best of Show judges because that entry came so close to landing in the top three that it deserved special mention.

The competition evaluated 85 entries and raised $850 for the Lift-for-Life charity. Many thanks to all who entered beers and volunteered their time to help judge and organize this event.

2008 St. Louis Microfest Homebrew Competition

Congrats, congrats!!!! Take a bow!!!

applause.gif

Wow, very nice. Pour yourself a glass, kick back and enjoy the praise :)

Well done! Your junk may be ugly, but it can obviously brew some fine beer.

For my first AG brew I wanted to do your cream of three crops ale. Then I read your summit ale. Then I've only heard about your haus pale ale. I don't know what I should brew! I'm looking for the perfect summer night ale. Something light but a very thirst quenching ale. With a decent ABV. What do you suggest Biermuncher?

Congrats! The RIS 888 has brought home a ribbon already! I need to bottle some of mine soon! Get those ribbons up!

The Centennial didn't place? Damn. I wanted my first AG to be an award winning recipe!

I didn't have an CB on hand or maybe I would have.

For my first AG brew I wanted to do your cream of three crops ale. Then I read your summit ale. Then I've only heard about your haus pale ale. I don't know what I should brew! I'm looking for the perfect summer night ale. Something light but a very thirst quenching ale. With a decent ABV. What do you suggest Biermuncher?
I'd say for a 1st AG, the Centennial Blonde is an easy intro and hasn't failed anyone yet (that I know of).

The Haus Ale is a bit more complex, but I knew it would have to score decent because it was just a very clean, delicious pale ale. It scored the highest of any of the APA’s submitted and that makes me feel good since I know there were a lot of pale ale submissions.

I’ll dig up the recipe here and post it soon.

Congragulations. You best have some at the HBS get together on july 13 for me to taste. I will be the true judge.

I didn't have an CB on hand or maybe I would have.

I'd say for a 1st AG, the Centennial Blonde is an easy intro and hasn't failed anyone yet (that I know of).

The Haus Ale is a bit more complex, but I knew it would have to score decent because it was just a very clean, delicious pale ale. It scored the highest of any of the APA’s submitted and that makes me feel good since I know there were a lot of pale ale submissions.

I’ll dig up the recipe here and post it soon.

Will I be getting one of those Haus Ale's:):):):D

Congrats! By the way, your Centenial Blonde recipe was a hit at the lake Memorial Day weekend.

Congrats, BM! I still haven't gotten around to entering anything into a competition yet but when I do I hope I fare as well as you did.

Not surprised, and very happy for you. Those were some wide categories! "Dark Ale" reminds me of the old days when contest would have three categories - golden, amber and dark.

Congrats. We need a total awards taken tally someplace, not individual awards but members in general. It would be cool to see how that worked out over the year!

Not surprised, and very happy for you. Those were some wide categories! "Dark Ale" reminds me of the old days when contest would have three categories - golden, amber and dark.

Yeah, on one hand it's a smaller competition at just under 100 entries. But grouping them like this meant the RIS was competing against all stouts, porters, browns and a whole slew of other dark ales.

Yeah, on one hand it's a smaller competition at just under 100 entries. But grouping them like this meant the RIS was competing against all stouts, porters, browns and a whole slew of other dark ales.

Yeh, the typical grouping would put it up against all other stout stlyes, but not porters or browns or other dark ales. It just makes your accomplishment that much more significant. Good job.

Grats, but shouldn't you be brewing another award winning beer instead of chatting it up? ;)

Back