Pre-boil cold crashing to remove trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nufad

Reaction score
I've recently started BIAB brewing, and I've noticed that there is a large amount of suspended matter in my wort (it looks like miso soup) - is this part of the trub? About 2 inches of matter settled out in my hydrometer jar after 45 minutes, leaving a clearer liquid with a slight haze.

Would it be a good or bad idea to cold crash the wort pre-boil, and siphon off the clearer wort into my boil pot? Would I lose any flavor or yeast nutrients?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks! I thought cold crashing/chilling were similar.

Yep, cold crashing is after fermentation, chilling is how ya get the wort to fermentation temps. If you're racking with a siphon, you can whirlpool your wort after cooling to drive the break to the center of the kettle, then rack from the side. You'll get some break into the fermenter, but most will stay behind in the kettle. Do that after the boil, not pre boil.

There is no need to do it pre-boil, chill it after boiling/whirlpooling/then settling....whirlpool then let it sit about 30 min post boil....you leave most trub behind in your kettle. Doing this you will probably find less than 1" of trub in your fermentor. I cool to yeast pitching temps and have very little trub.

What you may have to do is bump your recipe up a bit, I found I leave about 1 gal. in the kettle.

Back