Airlock sign of no oxygen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpavlik22

Reaction score
Ok not sure where to post this & couldn't find any other posts on this topic.

When I secondary I use an airlock. It always raises up and bubbles slowly (more right after racking, but typically a bubble a hour or so). I kno this does not indicate fermentation.

My question is does that mean the oxygen is removed from the Carboy (since c02 is heavier than air)? Or would there b a layer of c02 over the beer pushing oxygen out of the airlock?

Thanks

If your beer is not fermenting or degassing there will be no layer of CO2 sitting on top of it. Therefor, nothing to create pressure on the water in your airlock. Your beer is no longer fermenting so no gas will come out of it.

I always take a gravity reading to confirm fermentation is complete. Even after I rack to the secondary I get bubbles out of the airlock. I assumed this was c02.?.?

Even after I rack to the secondary I get bubbles out of the airlock. I assumed this was c02.?.?

Yes, you're most likely seeing C02 come out of solution. The agitation of racking the beer is the most likely cause. A rise in temperature will do the same thing. It's nothing to worry about. As to whether or not it will create a small layer of C02 over the beer, I don't really know. If your concern is oxidation for a long secondary aging, the best solution is to minimize headspace. Barring that, you could flush the headspace with C02, if possible.

Back