Cold Crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

Reaction score
I currently have an IPA in the fermenter. (Ale Pail). In the past, I have always just transfered to bottling bucket and bottled. This time, I am thinking of cold crashing in the garage for a couple of days first to try to really clear the beer. Is there any potential problem with dropping out too much yeast when cold crashing resulting in the beer not carbonating properly in the bottle? I am planning 3 weeks from boil to bottle, all in the primary with a 2 day cold crash.

Thanks,

John

None when you only cold crash for that long. I would say you would have to cold crash for like 3-4 months before you would have to re-yeast or anything. From my experience 7 days at 38 still carbs up well.

Two days in your garage will not be a problem. Now if you left it in a fridge at say 35 F for a year, thats a different story.

So, can you please explain "cold crashing", specifically:

1 What is the purpose and what is happening exactly to achieve this purpose?

2. Is there a recommended temperature for crashing, and does it vary depending upon the type of beer being brewed?

3. Is there a recommended time period for crashing?

4. What does "carbing up well" mean, and how do you know when and how much carbing up has taken place?

Much appreciated.

So, can you please explain "cold crashing", specifically:

1 What is the purpose and what is happening exactly to achieve this purpose?

2. Is there a recommended temperature for crashing, and does it vary depending upon the type of beer being brewed?

3. Is there a recommended time period for crashing?

4. What does "carbing up well" mean?

Much appreciated.

1. To clear the beer. It drops the yeast out of suspension
2. As close to 32F as possible. No.
3. Until the beer clears. Generally 2-4 days.
4. The beer will carbonate fairly quickly without adding extra yeast when bottling.

For most beers I primary at fermentation temps for 3 weeks. Then I take the primary vessel and cold crash it at around 35F for 1 week, then I keg...Presto clean tasting and clear looking beer.

I don't have the location to cold crash my beer so if I want it to be clear, I add gelatin to the secondary. Irish moss (additive) works too.

Back