British 1335 ReUse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtupper

Reaction score
So being economical (i.e. "College Student") I want to start saving my yeast for future brews. I think I know the drill so here is my situation:

I brewed a Chocolate Porter 3 Days ago. When I rack to secondary I would like to divide the yeast cake into 3 starters if possible for future batches...So here are my questions:

1.) Will the 4oz of Cocoa Powder effect my yeast cake?
2.) Is the British Wyeast 1335 able to be held for any period of time? (probably won't brew for 3-4 weeks)
3.) What future brews can I use this for?
4.) Do I need to make the starters when pulling the Yeast off the primary, or can I just save the yeast and make the starters the day before my future brews?

I may look into changing my future recipes if I can get some extra British ales out of this cake and save some yeast cost...Maybe a mild, stout, another porter(open to suggestions)

Thanks in advance! :mug:

You could freeze some mixed with glycol. The cocoa won't matter though you could wash it to remove trub, this will improve viability as will storing the yeast under some wort. Though freezing it is the way to go. I fully expect my frozen 1335 to be useable a year from now.

A couple recipes for Northern Brewer kits call for 1335, pale ales come to mind. Beer Tools recipe database will let you search by ingredients as well. Though I don't recall too many using this yeast. I find that 1335 has a very distinct taste that is tough to blend well. I used it in my first 3 batches and now wish that I had not.

So lastnight I transfered and started to wash my yeast but after setting for a whil I'm only getting two layers: beer and dark brown matter. Do I just keep seperating and adding sterile water till the crap falls from the yeast or what? Are you sure the coca will wash out?

Back