Just finished my Keezer been shooting foam for 24 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiako

Reaction score
Well I just finished my keezer and put a real tap and shank on instead of a picnic tap. Before then all the comerical kegs were fine at 14 psi. I had a screw up while putting the new tap on though.. I left the plastic on the shank and kept screwing with it. Tap it with the gas on, shook up the beer and let it get warm. Still though it has been shooting foam and not getting better at all.. Its bud select, yuck.. I didn't get to pick the beer. Its at 14 psi, what I have had all the kegs at..

I have no idea what to do.

Also, the tap is 30 inchs from the ground and the beverage line is about 15 inches.

fubar I cut the line too short... Going to go pick up more.

Ok so I got 6 feet of 3/16 and it solved the foam problem.. Now the beer just seems kinda flat at close to 15psi.. Or the carb is just caught in the head.. Pours perfect, head good.. Not many bubbles.. Should I turn it up to 16 psi?

how many volumes of CO2 are in the beer when pouring? If you set it at 12-14psi it will take about 2 weeks (at 40F) to stabilize. If you chill and set to 30psi for 36-48hrs then purge and set at 12psi it should be ready to go...and will stabilize in an additional 24-48 hours at pouring psi.

If you put a flat keg in keezer and set to 12-14psi...you will have flatish beer for a couple weeks...

Disclaimer: patience is a vertue and most will recommend set it and forget it method due to the risk of overcarbing and stlye needs....I personally hit 40F beer with 30psi for 36hr and test. Then if close i set and forget at 12psi and its good to go in 4-6 days.

good luck!

:mug:

Shouldn't I not need to carb a keg of Bud select? Shouldn't it just be ready to go?

I mean I am used to carbing my own kegs but thought I would be able to pick up a keg at the store and throw it on at 12-14 psi and be good.

Dont bars just throw a keg on? Their kegs seem to be carb maybe too much but not flat.

How do you purge? I think I am going to put it at 30 psi over night..

Yes commercial beer should be correctly carbed when you purchase it. It's a bit bizarre that yours is flat. I've not seen that problem. You might have lost carb for some reason, (when it got warm and you were shaking it?) it shouldn't be the lines or your hook up. You mentioned a cobra tap, did you try hooking it up directly to see if it still seems flat?

You could increase the carb level of the beer by putting it on 30 psi overnight. If that get's you into the carb range then set at 12 psi if you keep your (shudder) bud really cold.

I wasn't shaking it but I forgot I had the gas on when I went to tap the keg.. Shot gas and beer went all over the place. Ever since all the carb seems to be in the foam.. Almost no bubbles.

But I seem to not keep any of my beers carbed at 12psi.. I have had to keep all of them 14psi

Its like all the bubbles are on the top and when I swirl it they sink to the bottom and come back up.. The beer doesn't taste bad and compared to other beers in a bottle like Spaten it has the same amount of bubbles.. But bud I would get at a bar it has no bubbles. Guess its not flat but preference

So I put it at 25 psi all night and we are having a big bbq tonight and I can't get any beer that is not foam out of it

Latest posts

Back