Cyserfelwein Label (apfelwein + honey)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foonder

Reaction score
Here's my label for the tentatively named 'Cyserfelwein'. I'm still trying to think up a better name.
cyserfelweinip4fu2.jpg

What do you guys think?

Uhhh... I'm probably going to embarrass myself here, but could you elaborate on the source of the name?

A cyser is apples and honey fermented together. So if you made that it would just be a cyser. If you made applewine and backsweetened with honey it is not a cyser and that word should not be used in the title. Cyserfelwein is not only hard to read and say but is repetative.

2 things foonder

1) The background is brighter/louder than the foreground. This causes them to fight for dominance (ie readability) in the design. Change the color scheme so the foreground, (honey cells?), is brighter and the background more muted.

2) The text is quite unreadable. It's usually the most important part of the label. Make it about 600% larger and make sure it's in a nice readable font. Give a bit more readability to the abv and date also.

It's not a bad concept, especially the background design, just needs refinement! Just my $.02.

Schlante,
Phillip

Uhhh... I'm probably going to embarrass myself here, but could you elaborate on the source of the name?
A cyser is apples and honey fermented together. So if you made that it would just be a cyser. If you made applewine and backsweetened with honey it is not a cyser and that word should not be used in the title. Cyserfelwein is not only hard to read and say but is repetative.

Yeah I kind of said I needed a better name, 'cyserfelwein' was just a filler name.
I'm making an apfelwein with a ton of honey in it , and someone pointed out that it's technically a 'cyser' since i'm fermenting both at the same time. "Cyserfelwein" is a tentative name, and I need to think of a new one (kinda like I said in the initial post).
...This would be technically a cyser...

I was also thinking of making the honeycomb area solidly colored, so the background didn't blend through and make the text harder to read. I had brown initially for the background, but I liked red better. I'll upload the brown version.
Brown Version:
cyserfelweinip4brownxh5.jpg

Which do you guys like better? And thanks for the input.

I'm going to have to vote for the brown background. If you find a shorter name you could center each letter in a honey comb cell and not have that wierd deletion of the cell walls.
I'm not feeling particularly creative right now, Cystake is the best I could come up with.

Why does everything on this board need to be "-felwein"? EdWort made a reputedly (I haven't cloned it - yet) fantastic beverage, but all the bastardizations of the name... I've seen "mapfelwein", "grapefelwein", "cyserfelwein" (which is a bear to say), "vanillachocofellattewein".... </rant>

Yeah, so...... Cyserwine?

To me the label just has to much going on, its hard to look at. You know what would be cool is if you just used the honeycomb part and its was acrazy shaped label that wrapped around your bottle.

If you want to use the crazy background, I'd make it maybe 30% opacity and see how that goes. Lightening it would do a lot for how much the honeycomb layer showed up.

Why does everything on this board need to be "-felwein"? EdWort made a reputedly (I haven't cloned it - yet) fantastic beverage, but all the bastardizations of the name... I've seen "mapfelwein", "grapefelwein", "cyserfelwein" (which is a bear to say), "vanillachocofellattewein".... </rant>

I love you. I have been feeling this way for a long time now. Applewine is a specific kind of beverage, not all meads and wines are related to it, infact most of them aren't at all. I wish we could put a word filter on anything with "'felwein" in it that said "I am an uncreative D-bag".

I love you. I have been feeling this way for a long time now. Applewine is a specific kind of beverage, not all meads and wines are related to it, infact most of them aren't at all. I wish we could put a word filter on anything with "'felwein" in it that said "I am an uncreative D-bag".

Yeah. I think the only thing more creative than 'cyserwine' might be 'alebeer'. It's not meant to be a lazy way out to name something, ending it in 'felwein' is paying homage to the original apfelwein. The recipes I can speak for (mapfelwein and this one) are basically exactly like Ed's with one variable changed each time, thus making different versions of his apfelwein. If I was making something I totally thought up by myself and didn't use 90% of what someone else has proven to be a good idea, I would make an original label (which is what I do the other 99% of the time). The only ones I've finished the name with 'felwein' Are in fact "related" since it uses the same exact yeast, and upwards of 80% of the fermentable sugars come from the same ingredient (apple juice).

Seeing people name things ending in 'felwein' isn't coming from them thinking "Hey I'm just as cool as Edwort, I made something that's just as good" It comes from the notion that "Edwort made something really cool, this is My take on it."

To me the label just has to much going on, its hard to look at. You know what would be cool is if you just used the honeycomb part and its was acrazy shaped label that wrapped around your bottle.
Awesome idea, but would be a huge pain in the ass to cut out and adhere to the bottles.
If you want to use the crazy background, I'd make it maybe 30% opacity and see how that goes. Lightening it would do a lot for how much the honeycomb layer showed up.

Done:
cyserfelweinip4brown2kv8.jpg

This is at 50% opacity, 30% is barely visible. I'm not crazy about it. Maybe just softer colors on the back would mesh better.

Edwort didn't make that name up, it is simply applewine in german, which is a very specific syle of cider. Replacing the dextrose in his recipe with honey makes this a cyser and NOT an applewine.

Very nice label by the way.

Back