So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a @Miraculix Classic English Ale (here)
1698161339157.png
1698161355718.png

Aaaaaaaaaand picked up more walnuts
1698161377568.png

that's a shed sized pile beside my shed, and the trees are still not finished dropping
1698161422169.png

Sounds good.
No way I could brew that much on my stove.

It was tight. I only try for 6 gallons when it's a lower gravity beer. I use an 8 gal Megapot on the stove, with a 1500W bucket heater stick to help get it to a boil.

I mashed in with 6 gallons water, BIAB, hoisted out and added another 2 gallons. Preboil was 7.25 gal, so a few drops of Fermcap-s helped.
Racked 6 gal into the fermenter.

Last edited:
If I can get my NEIPA crashed and kegged in time, I might do my Christmas doppelbock this weekend.

Pilsner, Munich II, Melanoidin, CaraMunich II and a touch of Carafa Special. 8.4% ABV targeted, with 26 IBU of Hallertau Mittelfrueh.

8kg grain bill so pushing the upper limits of my BrewZilla. Might need to be a reiterated mash...

Roggenbier today, found the recipe on Beersmith plus some minor tweaks
Briess Rye 41.4%
Voyager Compass 33.2%
Voyager Munich 18.3%
Joe White Choc 3.1%
Rice Hulls 4%
Hallertauer at 60 to 12.1IBU
Hallertauer at 15 to 7.8IBU
What ever wheat beer yeast I have in the freezer

Original recipe was Krekal Roggen, which had oats in it, which I removed as once I put in the malt I was using had an estimated 6.2% abv, currently aiming for a 5.2% so 1.055 SG and 1.015 FG

Mashed at 66.7C for 75mins

This is done as a single batch in a 1v (2nd brew using it), will probably do a tripple batch neipa in my 3v this weekend (first time using my 170L kettle)

Got the case swap in two weeks and we are doing the latest version of Dr Sumurtos Golden ale (Rye) 18 Cubes worth (circa 450L batch size)

Been absent for a bit, work and life getting in the way. This morning trying another batch of rice lager; first one turned out to be a dumper, not sure why. Possibly that I used regular rice, it didn't want to cook, and I ended up scorching some of it. Oh well, try again. This time using minute rice.

Been absent for a bit, work and life getting in the way. This morning trying another batch of rice lager; first one turned out to be a dumper, not sure why. Possibly that I used regular rice, it didn't want to cook, and I ended up scorching some of it. Oh well, try again. This time using minute rice.
IDK if you have a microwave, but the rice setting cooks it perfectly on mine.

Chocolate Milk Porter. Easy brew day(s). Mashed in Friday night, brewed early Saturday morning. Mashed full volume in that 10g pot at 154. Placed it in my oven overnight set to 155. 7:30 this AM it was 148. Only having to boil, chill, and clean up this AM made for a relaxing session. Measured out the grains earlier in the week. Milled them and mashed in while the bride was at bookclub.
20231028_085914.jpg

Last edited:
Brewed up an adaptation of Franciscan Wells Irish Pale Ale. It’s pretty similar to SNPA. The key characteristic is the combination of German Tettnanger for a floral/herbal note and Citra to give new world citrus and tropical aromas. Chico strain yeast (I’m using Flagship) gives fruit esters, too.
Last batch was one of my best.

Lots of nectarine blowing off airlock right now.

I brewed a 2.5 gallon batch of my take on the recent Stout recipe that Treehouse put out on YouTube. I took the amounts listed by Treehouse for the 5 gal batch, and divided them in half for my batch. I targeted 35 IBUs. The Treehouse video describes a 5.5% to 7% beer, but the amounts listed push it to the upper end (or above) of that range for me. My beer will be at the upper end of American Stout for Gravity, ABV and Color, but right at the lower end for IBUs. My malts are pretty close to Treehouse recipe, with a few tweaks for what I had on hand. - Recipe - BeerSmith Cloud

I got 2.7 gals at 1.073, so I will call that a win! The beer seems very dark and roasty in character. I added 1g of Baking Soda to try and boost the mash pH, but I came in a bit lower than I would have liked. Predicted was 5.47, and I measured 5.29 in the mash (and 5.13 post boil). That is likely fine. I pitched a pack of US-05.

IMG_4808.JPGIMG_4809.JPGIMG_4810.JPGIMG_4811.JPGIMG_4813.JPG

I'm going to attempt to brew the Ukrainian Imperial Stout I was planning months ago. Now that the flood damage has been repaired, and no rain in site, things are looking in my favor! (Knocks on wood).
So.. With the fermenter in the fridge I'd call the day a success.

The only issue I had was that my pump crapped out, or should I say, never got started! I had to go back to the good old days of letting gravity do all the work (I did need a little help getting the mash tun above the boil kettle). I opened up the pump head, and it appeared to be clean, spun freely, so I don't know what is up with it.

Considering no recirculation I still hit my numbers, actually exceeded by a bit, 1.085 vs 1.082 miracles do happen.

I didn't get any pictures of the brew day but will definitely post a picture in the "What are you drinking now thread" in a few months.

Brewing up a gluten free American Brown Ale today. My last one was too roasty (and over carbonated), so gonna dial that back a bit.

Brewing a Mosaic SMaSH today.
465CE0ED-5FE3-4D80-A562-142AFA2DA77F.jpeg

When I went to the LHBS to get the ingredients for this batch I made the entire, seven mile, trip across town without hitting a single red light. A pretty remarkable occurrence as the shortest route involves some of the busiest streets in Billings, including directly through the downtown core, and has about 20 traffic lights.

I may call this batch “Greenlight Special”. 😎

Brewing a Biere De Garde and I am in the mash stage right now. First time brewing this style, I am brewing the amber version, with a pretty cool recipe. A lot of different opinions on yeast for this one out there. Lager yeast fermented warm, ale yeast, hybrid German Ale or Kolsch yeast, are what the research shows the many brewers using.

I decided to use White Labs WLP515 Antwerp Ale yeast. This is really a hybrid yeast that has lager ancestry and it also can be fermented in the 60's. It is clean with a little creaminess (in my experience with it) and has some Belgiany characteristics but it is more in the background. I use it all the time for my Belgian Pale Ale so I thought I would throw it at this and see what happens.

Have a great weekend everyone!

John

Back