Fat Tire Critics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stew!Brew!

Reaction score
Any Fat Tire Amber Ale Critics?

Now it could have been an old, stale batch but man! Me and my buds got a pitcher of that the other night(along with a few others) and it just outright sucked. It tasted really bad. It made me want Budweiser....

It is not normally 'bad' tasting.

It is not as bad as budweiser.

It is not a Belgian ale.

It is not an in your face extreme ale.

It IS a nice malty amber ale.

I agree with the others- it's a decent amber ale, one I'll choose if it's available amid the BMC offerings. I'd have trouble deciding between Fat Tire and Anchor Steam, for example, but I might choose the Fat Tire. You must have had a bad six pack.

Being from Colorado I've been drinking Fat Tire for years. I miss the stuff (now in South Carolina can't get it.) But for some reason I can't drink more than a few or I feel absolutely horrible the next day. I'm surprised to hear people bash it. I have the Flat Tire clone from midwest in the secondary right now, can't wait to see hoe it turns out.

Fat Tire is an okay beer IMO. Personally I put it basically in the same category as the new Budweiser American Ale. Has some flavor, certainly beats any BMC pale lager and I have no quaffs drinking it. However, it is not a great beer IMO.

As far as choosing between Fat Tire and Anchor Steam, that is a no brainer for me. I love me some Anchor Steam beer.

Either my taste buds have changed significantly or the recipe and/or process has changed significantly. That beer just isn't what it used to be.

I can't stand any of the New Belgium beers. There is some weird taste that runs through all of them. Seems especially noticeable in the Fat Tire.

All though I do agree - that beer was better about 5 years ago.

I've bought fat tire a few times, I liked the nice biscuity flavor, but the last 6 pack I bought had no biscuit flavor at all and tasted pretty ordinary.

I tried it for the first time a couple wees ago on vacation. I haven't been able to find it around here. I wasn't too impressed with it but I think it was because it was overhyped and I was expecting too much from it. The 1554 was pretty good though.

Latest posts

Back