Is Sanitizer Reusable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thwizzit

Reaction score
Can you save the sanitizer you've used in a gallon jug and use it over and over again or is only good for one use?

Chlorine-based sanitizers in particular are not generally okay for reuse, because chlorine evaporates constantly. Not that that'd be a problem while stored in an airtight container, but it would get progressively less effective each time it was used.

As Brad said, starsan is great for the task. I store and reuse starsan for months at a time. As long as it stays clear and the pH is below 3.0, it's still good. Despite its somewhat higher initial cost than some other sanitizers, if you're willing to store and reuse, starsan can easily be one of the cheapest sanitizers of all, in addition to being really convenient and effective.

Iodophor can last at least a week, maybe 2 in a sealed container, it will change color from straw to clear as the ph and the usefulness decreases....Using distilled water with either starsan or iodophor helps make it last longer.

One-step is sodium peroxycarbonate, which is basically hydrogen peroxide in washing soda. It decomposes over time (losing oxygen). It does not keep its sanitizing power for a long time...and it's not that expensive--especially if you buy 5 lbs at a time.

I keep a spray bottle of starsan in water around for keg fittings and posts, cleaning the countertop, etc. That stuff (as mentioned before) seems to hold up.

While a thing of sanitizer may initially be expensive, the cost per use is a lot less than the value of a spoiled batch of beer. Always consider whether a chance you take or step you skip saves you enough money to be worth a bad batch.

RodfatherX said:
Any body know about one step?

[rant]I wished that they'd quit peddling onestep to new brewers and/or quit skirting the line on whether or not it is a sanitizer or cleanser... Or at least PAY for USDA sanitizer certification once and for all...it's not like they can't afford the certification....They have contracts with ALL the major kit vendors including MR Beer to supply their horrid product with kits....they must make enough to pay for the litsting....

If you want to read about onestep the real sanitizers, and how they differ, check this thread out...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54932

[/rant]:D[/QUOTE]

If onestep really is Sodium percarbonate, like Scotty says, then it is more like Oxyclean than it is a sanitizer....If you can't tell I'm not a fan of that stuff, especially in light of Iodophor and Starsan.

+1 on starsan. I keep a 1 gallon bucket around until it starts looking cloudy/dirty. 1 gallon usually lasts me about 2-3 weeks. Doing this I have made a $9 purchase of 8oz of starsan last me nearly a year.

Latest posts

Back