Happy Winter Solstice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin C

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The solstice has come and gone. Hope the coming Winter treats you well.

This is one of Ireland's most famous Neolithic tombs designed around it. The sun (if it comes out from behind the typically cloudy December skies) strikes the back wall of the tomb at sunrise following the longest night.

Pretty cool stuff.

Newgrange and the Boyne Valley (Brú na Bóinne )
ancient_skies_about_history_30_newgrange_solstice_011.jpg

00040c08-642.jpg

newgrangeAerial.jpg

newinside.jpg

Apologies in advance to our southern hemisphere friends for my northern bias.

Cool stuff. I am looking forward to seeing the days lengthen. Hopefully January and February won't be the typically cloudy months in Chicago so that we can see it happening.

Last year was probably one of the hardest times I've had in my life. This artist/animator Signe Baumane suffers from depression and actively battles it with often dark, but usually positive imagery. The deepest night is behind us. Wake up, smell the cool refreshing joy and hope of the summer to come.

digging-sun.jpg

Good riddance to less sunlight every day.

But only six more months till I'm sitting on a boat with home brew at a 10pm sunset. Walleyes ever so slowly pulling the slip bobber down...

My birthday was Yesterday. Not a significant thing on its own being born on the winter solstice but when you add the fact that my brother was born on the summer solstice it's a weird coincidence .

Merry Christmas! Thank you gavin for showing beautiful cool place. Man do i want to hit some golf balls on that turf. Temple el castillo is the yang to this yin. During summer solstice a serpent appears down the temples steps.

Why is this such a deeply spiritual time?ancient vikings would decorate their houses with green limbs from trees at solstice. Hanukkah Christmas no doubt spiritually connected. Perhaps in our darkest hour we truly can focus on light. Idk some quote is there...

View attachment 1451033232554.jpg

So pretty cool Rick Steves was just in Ireland at that place on PBS. Cutting cable was one of the best things I ever did and I'll help you if you want to know how I did it

So pretty cool Rick Steves was just in Ireland at that place on PBS. Cutting cable was one of the best things I ever did and I'll help you if you want to know how I did it

The house we live in has never had cable in the 20 years since we had it built. We didn't even have coax run up to the house. Just off-air TV for us. With DTV we needed a good rooftop antenna (the Clearstream 2 from Antennas Direct). We watch a lot of PBS. :off:

The house we live in has never had cable in the 20 years since we had it built. We didn't even have coax run up to the house. Just off-air TV for us. With DTV we needed a good rooftop antenna (the Clearstream 2 from Antennas Direct). We watch a lot of PBS. :off:

I dont understand the end please clarify? Did i somehow upset you offering to help others enjoy the free tv we enjoy. We have antenna in attic that i was eyeing for years finally decided to use it amazing hd

I dont understand the end please clarify? Did i somehow upset you offering to help others enjoy the free tv we enjoy. We have antenna in attic that i was eyeing for years finally decided to use it amazing hd

Ummm...no, I was agreeing with you about going without cable. I have never had a desire to subscribe to cable (or satellite). I posted about the antenna I use for off-air TV. My post ran off-topic, hence the emoticon.

Im glad i asked rather than assumed it seemed odd. I'm not sure I understand that symbol what does it mean? and also I'm a little on edge as i think there are too many unnecessary insults on this site. So I was eyeing the antenna in my crawl space for years and finally decided to go for it and basically just rerouted the antenna out from a outlet I found to where the cable master in was. It was incredible how clear the HD was compared to the cable company. It's a huge antenna all my neighbors took theirs out and sold them. It's kind of funny to think in this world we live in if you just throw some rabbit ears on a TV your HD quality will improve. All I ever watched was the golf channel anyways. I love the PBS shows like America's Test Kitchen. Oops im off topic too sorry gavin.

Back