Hop boil time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seabee John

Swing the BIG hammer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Again showing off the little noob inside me...

and then I found this:

GaryA said:
You can adjust for AA% in a brew.

Make sure to look at the flavor profile of the hops you are going to substitute.

Standard IBU Formula

IBU = weight of hops in ounces x alpha acid % x utilization % volume of final batch in gallons x 1.34*
*constant to convert measurement into US standards

Example:

1 oz. of Northern Brewer (10% alpha acid) boiled for 60 minutes in a full-wort boil of moderate gravity wort for a five-gallon batch.

IBU = 1 x 10 x 30 / 5 x 1.34 = 44.77

Let's say you are using last year's recipe but the alpha acid of your hops has changed to 8% alpha acid. You will need to solve for the weight of hops with the new alpha acid percent. Rearrange the formula so that...

weight of hops in ounces =

IBUs desired x volume of final batch in gallons x 1.34* / alpha acid percent x utilization percent
*constant to convert measurement into US standards

oz. hops = 44.77 x 5 x 1.34 / 8 x 30 = 1.25 oz. hops

no need to ask my question now

GaryA said:
That is straight off of "How to Brew".

like I said...showing off my inner noob. I had one of those moments (after a few of ED's Apfelwein) where I had an idea that ran away on me. So I posted a really dumb question. clicked on my next thread and poof there's my answer.

time to go to bed.

Back