Cultures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring_Chicken

Reaction score
Does anyone keep individual cultures of sour bugs on hand? I'm thinking of using some of my one gallon jugs to keep a culture of lacto, pedio, a few brett, and whatever else I can get my hands on. The thought it that then I can taste what each does on it's own and then have them to add whenever I need them. I'm thinking they should remain viable for a year or so all by themselves. Would that work? Comments or suggestions are of course welcome.

Just make sure to feed it I suppose and it would last longer than that. I would say go for it. I cant remember if it's lacto or pedio that likes to be fed with apple cider. I yield to the floor on that one.

That's something I need to know - feeding schedules. Also temps. I'd love to be able to store them in a brew area I have that is generally unheated. Will they be killed by low temps?

Feed brett and bacteria once every few months from what I understand. Just whip up a bit of DME. The only condition in which you'd have to feed them more often is if you were stepping up a starter. Room temperature storage is fine.

Latest posts

Back