GF Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtdigger

Reaction score
I brewed my first GF beer back on the evening of the 17th.
5.5# White Sorghum Syrup
1# Brown Rice Syrup
1# Buckwheat Honey
3 additions of Cascade
1.5 packs of Notty

With Notty, I am used to seeing some fairly vigorous fermentation after 12-18 hours, continuing for 3-5 days, then settling down considerably.
This GF beer started out slowly perking away and still is.
My temp has been maintaining around 68 degF in a water bath, due to the summer heat.
Is this fermentation action normal in GF beers?
Thanks in advance for any comments.

That's how all of mine have been I haven't noticed any crazy activity in my brews that others might notice in their regular beers. That's just me though, maybe some of the other's have had some crazy ones?

I am only on batch #2 but mine have been similar.
My temp is a steady 71 in the basement.

Steady action for several days, nothing vigorous.

Sounds more to do with your honey than anything else. Honey is completely devoid of nutrients and is difficult for yeast to chew through. You can drop a tablespoon of yeast nutrient in to compensate for this, or you can just let it chew along slowly, either will work fine with that level of sorghum.

I have not noticed any significant differences between GF and Glutenous fermentations, although I haven't used any of the crazy exploding yeasts in GF beers either. Notty for me does not make this list, it seems like a fairly standard fermenter to me.

And for the solely GF brewers, on my glutenous ale brews, I usually see about 5 day long ferments, and usually nothing too vigorous. I use 10 or so different yeasts. The wheat beer ones explode and are done after 36 hours. My GF brews might take 6 days, but nothing I would call abnormal. I have used honey in a few ferments and they have always been slower however.

Latest posts

Back