First Recipe - Mt. Citra Summit IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medusa1066

Reaction score
This is pretty tasty. Definite Tangerine, not harsh at all. Please critique and share:

90% 9 8 Briess Munich Liquid Extract
10% 1 0 American Crystal 40L

Boil 5.8 Gallons
first wort 90+ mins 0.25 Citra info pellet 13.4
first wort 90+ mins 0.25 Summit info pellet 18.0
boil 60 mins 0.25 Summit info pellet 18.0
boil 15 mins 0.5 Citra info pellet 13.4
boil 15 mins 0.25 Summit info pellet 18.0
boil 5 mins 0.5 Citra info pellet 13.4
boil 5 mins 0.25 Summit info pellet 18.0
boil 1 min 0.5 Citra info pellet 13.4
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Citra info pellet 13.4
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Summit info pellet 18.0
69.2 IBU

boil 15 mins 1 tsp Irish Moss

Batch 5.2 gallons.
90 minute Boil

SafeAle US-05

Original Gravity
1.072 / 16.8° Plato (1.061 to 1.072)
Final Gravity
1.019 / 4.8° Plato (1.016 to 1.020)
7.3% ABV
Color
13° SRM / 25° EBC
(Copper to Red/Lt. Brown)

Not something I would brew at all, but as long as you enjoyed it, that's all that matters. Given the name, I thought I would see Mt. Hood hops in here as well. I also don't understand how you only lost 0.6 gallons under a 90 minute boil.

I unfortunately have to leave the lid partially closed to get a good stove top boil. Also, the volume is an approximation. I REALLY need to mark off my boil pot and carboy better. I wanted to wordplay with the Summit somehow, and mountain was the only thing that came to mind.

It should really be MUCH less about the name of the beer, and more about the quality of the beer IMO.

I boil indoors under twin 4 gallon kettles and have no problem reaching a boil as long as I bring the water up to temp. first with a tight fitting lid before adding the extract sans the lid. A friend of mine boils 6 gallons indoors, straddling the kettle on two burners with no issue. I guess this would be difficult to do with an electric range.

It should really be MUCH less about the name of the beer, and more about the quality of the beer IMO.

Agreed. Just having fun!

I boil indoors under twin 4 gallon kettles and have no problem reaching a boil as long as I bring the water up to temp. first with a tight fitting lid before adding the extract sans the lid. A friend of mine boils 6 gallons indoors, straddling the kettle on two burners with no issue. I guess this would be difficult to do with an electric range.

I use gas and straddle two burners. I do not get the rolling boil I like to see without the lid. Every setup is different I guess.

Latest posts

Back