Large Green clumps after primary and sour smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyhippy

Reaction score
I just transferred to my secondary on a batch of stout... Upon opening the primary, I noticed an unpleasant, sweet smell? I think sweet is the right way to describe it. There are also large green clumps covering the top of the beer. I can't seem to find any info on what infected beer would look like, other than it would taste bad. What are the visual indicators of a bad batch of beer that has been infected by bacteria? Think this is bad, or just standard, and let it sit in teh secondary and bottle it? I've had alot of clumps on top before, but usually in an IPA? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

hops that didn't get filtered out and floated up with the krausen maybe? most times when something is moldy/infected with green fuzz it doesnt smell sweet. I've never seen/smelled infected beer though, so I'm just guessing.

Yes, after reviewing the photos of molds in that post section on the site, I don't think it is mold... It is definitely not white at all, and does look like just some floating trub. It was just the combination of that, and the smell that threw me. Its in the secondary, so we'll see what develops! Anyone know of a good group of homebrewers out here in Portland? I just moved here a month ago and I'm loving it! Let me know if I'm off base, next time I'll take photos of anything suspicious...

Latest posts

Back