Foam in Airlock - What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernaBrew

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of beer yesterday and it really started the fermentation process and I am starting to get a little foam inside the airlock. I do not have a blow of kit - not sure what to do. Should I stick a tube into the stopper hole and put it in a bucket of water.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

From the little I know, yes. Just make sure everything is sanitary, and maybe use some cheap vodka in place of water (to fight infection). I'm a beginner though, so I hope someone else can tell you for sure.

+1. Now is a great time to retreat and add a blow-off tube. You don't want to wake up in the morning with a stuffed up airlock and yeast ALL OVER!

I just lived through this. If you have a three piece airlock, take off the top and remove the floating piece. Take your siphon hose and attach it to the nipple in the airlock.

If it won't fit, you can cut a small slit with a razor knife. Drop the other end in sanitizer solution.

Do this now, else you'll find your airlock blown completely off the bottle, and your ceiling will have beer spots on it!

In a couple of days, once fermentation slows down, you can clean and reassemble your airlock.

Back