Batch / Bulk Priming in Primary and Saving Yeast Cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I normally bulk / batch prime my finished beer in my Coopers primary fermenter. I find it works well and there is less clean up.

I have a Hefeweizen about to be bottled and I would like to save the yeast cake (Wyeast 3068) for future Hefe batches using the method below:

http://www.mikebeer.net/reuseyeast.htm

Would the addition of priming sugar from the bulk priming interfere with or not allow me to save the yeast properly? i.e. priming sugar + saved yeast may carbonate?

I typically rack my beer off my yeast so I can wash it. That way I can also add some o2 to the wort along with the priming agent and stir it well without disturbing the trub. If I don't have a bottling bucket handy (as there's some other fermentation going), I rack into my (sanitized) kettle, then just bottle from my (sanitized) auto siphon.

The mike beer method looks nice and easy. Not really washed yeast, but seems to work for him.

Back