Specific Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pintocb

Reaction score
Got a hydrometer today. I brewed some cider on Sunday afternoon. Anyway to determine or even estimate alcohol level with three days of fermenting gone by? The gravity reading I got tonight is 1.020. What I brewed was tasting pretty good. Nicely carbonated.

It sounds like it's fermenting pretty well. I wouldn't even have a guess as to what the OG was, though. Sugar has a "set" SG, but apple juice can vary greatly, so I don't have any idea what the OG could have been.

The cider I started a month or so ago had a SG of 1.051. This was straight apple juice from Wal-mart, no added sugar. Your hydro should have a percent alcohol scale, in addition to the gravity scale. You can take the % that corresponds to a gravity of 1.051 and subtract the percent that corresponds to 1.020 (your current reading) and get a decent idea of your % abv.

I've also heard of multiplying the difference in your two gravity readings by 131 to get %abv.

Back