Kegging first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avidhomebrewer

Reaction score
I am attempting to keg my first batch, and it's not working out so well. Here is my method: With the beer and carbonation stone in the keg, I put the regulator to about 2 psi and slowly bleed off oxygen from the headspace until the foam comes out of the opened relief valve. Once that happens, I close the valve and allow it to pressurize, at the same regulator setting. However, what happens is that the foam will come out of the rubber gasket (large o-ring) around the keg cover. I made sure that the o-ring, cover, and inside of the keg are clean and free of debris that would compromise the seal. Any thoughts as to how I can prevent this?

Just tried another thing-instead of slowly raising the pressure, I bumped it up to about 10 psi. Maybe that is what was needed to seat the o-ring?

Don't use a stone, but I usually hit it with about 30 psi to get a good seal going. Use some keg lube too if you have some. I let that sit for a day or two, then back it down to about serving pressure for 2 weeks.

Why do you say not to use a stone? Wouldn't the CO2 dissolve into solution much quicker with a stone seeing as the bubbles are smaller?

If you want to force carb quickly, just crank that sucker up to 30-50psi and swish it around.

Did you try rotating your keg lid? Some only seal good one way or the other. Also, KEG LUBE. It can make all the difference! But, if it seals at 10psi, that should be good enough if it's your serving pressure.

avidhomebrewer said:
Why do you say not to use a stone? Wouldn't the CO2 dissolve into solution much quicker with a stone seeing as the bubbles are smaller?

I meant, "I" don't use a stone, my apologies.

avidhomebrewer said:
I'm in no hurry to get Co2 dissolved into solution, because I have no intention of drinking my beer until it's been in the keg at least a month or so. Just because it's carbonated doesn't mean it's ready to drink, so I just carb at serving pressure and wait it out.

Kilted Brewer has the right idea though, most of my kegs need a good jolt at 30psi before they'll reliably seal. I keep an extra tank & regulator pair around, just to use for purging and sealing kegs, so I don't have to fiddle with my carbing and dispensing rigs.

Back