Kegging mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixmead

Reaction score
I am planning on bringing a keg or two of mead to an event next spring. Mead is already brewing. This will be my first time kegging anything. Can I get some advice from anyone else who has kegged please? I am interested in psi, line length and other tips you can give a newb to kegging.

Thank you

1. Fill it with 4 gallons of sanitizing solution AFTER everything is sanitized and assembled. Hook it up to 10 psi and let it go overnight to see if pressure holds. Fix leaks with keg lube. This avoids spewing purple melomel all over hell and creation (experience talking here).

2. Once it passes the above test. Keg your mead. Re-assemble and let it sit in the fridge a week. The first pour or two will likely have some sediment, but after it should be clear.

3. I don't care for carbonation on mead. I have 5' lines and push 6 psi for pure dispensing. Higher psi will begin to carbonate the mead.

Everyone's system has a bit of wobble, so play with it.

Back