very slightly modified coopers stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

American

Reaction score
I've brewed coopers ale kits twice now. Now I've started on a coopers stout, took me a while to find the stout kit here in sweden as everyone drinks lager here.I am brewing it with a bit of modification to experiment and, to start me to move my way down the road to full grain brewing.

I've used dextrose instead of cane sugar. I added 1.7 kg of dextrose as I like my alcohol content a bit high. Should come out just under 7% according to my calcs.

I boiled the extract with 4 to 6 litres of water. (I now realize that this will make the beer more bitter :(, definately obvious on the taste of the head)

I shook the living crap out of it for two minutes to oxygenate it ( frementation started within 7 hours)

I'm keeping it at cellar temperature (about 70 F) for a slower brewing. I plan on doing a secondary ferment to get less yeast (any suggestions on how long I should do this for?), then bottling.

Anybody know If you can do a pre culture using dried yeast? I don't really see any reason why not. But it seems though there is not much talk about this.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

The extra bittering will balance the higher alcohol content.
2-3 weeks is about right to clear a stout.
You can make starters using dried yeasts, but the high cell count in a standard packet makes this unnecessary.

If you like darker ales, you could order some specialty grains (caramel, chocolate and roasted barley). By steeping small quantities (250 gm) pre-boil, you can convert pale lager kits into stout & porters.

Thanks for your response!

Looks like a happy accident then! :ban:

When do you think I should I move it to secondary? After the foam has died away and co2 production is down? (I don't have a hydrometer yet, could get one fairly easily if necessary, but I don't know what the FG should be)

also how do I know when secondary is done? or is it just wait around for two and a half weeks and just do it?

I think I'm going to try to slowly work my way 'twords specialty grains as I get more experience, and do much more reading. so I'll be trying this next, and then most likely your idea afterwards: (and yes me likey the darks, pretty much all I drink)

STOUT

SIMPLY CHOCOLATE

(Printer friendly version)

When you read the contents of this recipe you will think "What tha??" but I will assure you now that it is a truly awesome brew that begs to be made again. Even at an early age it has a good creamy head and a full body that is amazing. Definitely a good one for a mid winter's tipple (or anytime of year for that matter!).

1 can Coopers Stout

1 Kg Dark Dried Malt

200g Dried Malt Additive

250ml Chocolate Topping (yes that's right)

Kit Yeast

To make life easier with the dried malt additive, put it in a jug and pour boiling water over it. Stir to dissolve it. If you use water that isn't boiling it will clump into a big ball that will be next to impossible to dissolve. Next add the ingredients to the fermenter and follow the T.H.B.S. instructions. Unlike most stouts this one is ready to drink at about 3 weeks without any ill effects.

Approx. F.G. 1020 & 6% Alcohol.

Back