All Brett Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
Made up a 1L starter of this on Wed evening, i've seen zero activity. I mean zero, no bubbles, foam, etc. I do have quite a bit of yeast settled at the bottom of my flask as well as in suspension when i swirl, but could it really be "done" without ever showing signs of ferm? I'm planning on pitching this into a 3 gal all brett beer, but not if it's not done. Thanks

I cultured brett out of orval and it took like two weeks to really build up even a small cake. One thing that helps is to add some acidity to the starter. Brett really likes to bathe in an acidic medium. Since you're going to decant your starter it doesn't matter the source of acidity as long as it won't inhibit fermentation. The easiest source is plain white vinegar. It's distilled and has no preservatives added. A tablespoon is probably enough. That should get activity going.

Just add tblsp plain old vinegar? Any need for sanitation/strerilization?

I'm all for a 7-10 days, just curious. First all brett beer so new to the whole thing

I did not get any visible activity on mine either a while back but I did get a nice small layer of yeast at the bottom after a week or so.

i made starter from orval bottle that suppose to be bottled with brett, i only saw activity after 60h, after 72h i steeped it up to 1.3L (from 150ml) and it was fermented in less than 16h, pitched in 4.5gal of saison wort and took off within hours, week later it slowed down significantly but i dont know fg yet, carboy with 3711 has much more activity that the one with orval

Back