Third AG in the Fermenter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentt03

Reaction score
So brewed another original recipe today. Cut the batch size back to 2.5gal

Estimated OG: 1.062
Actual OG: 1.056

Batch size this time ended up right at 2.5 gallons. I had been having some trouble with figuring efficiency and initial boil volume. Today, I figured 1.25 gallons per hour boil off rate and it turned out as planned.

The SG (gravity after mashing) was pretty low from the estimated amount, but I suppose I am not to worried about it as the OG is fairly close to the estimate.

I had some extra sparge water left over in the mash tun, so I am assuming that this is the culprit; although I measured out the amounts suggested by beersmith right on the money.

Thoughts??

Been thinking, and want to know if I am thinking correctly.

My desired batch size was 2.5gal. I had 6.25lbs of grain. Beersmith told me to prepare 4.5 gallons of water......after mashing/sparging, and running the wort into the pot, I stopped the runoff at 3.75gal based on my boil off rate.

I had extra water in my mash tun; does this mean that beersmith didn't calculate the absorption rate of the grain correctly?? And in turn this gave me a low pre-boil gravity???

Just trying to take notes and figure this out for the next go round.

That shouldn't be much of a problem. If your OG was close then you sparged what you needed. I'm more surprised that you have 1.25 gal/hr boil off. That is rather high.

What do you have your boil off percentage set in beersmith?

That shouldn't be much of a problem. If your OG was close then you sparged what you needed. I'm more surprised that you have 1.25 gal/hr boil off. That is rather high.

What do you have your boil off percentage set in beersmith?

What is crazy is when I brewed a 3.5gal batch it was even higher; granted you had to take into consideration trub, hop bag absorption and such, but still a bit higher than the 1.25 from yesterday.

Is the boil off rate configured under efficiency??? All I did was just increase the boil volume 1.25gal higher than batch size.

Back