Creepy Crawly Spiders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
CHecking on my 6inch sprouting hops today, I noticed a little ugly jumping spider on the barrels side. I always see spider webs on my metal pole structures when I go out, and I always tear them down everytime, but this was the first time I saw the SPIDER. I tried attacking him but he kept jumping around so I gave up.

Do spiders affect hops? Do they eat them? Will the bugs they catch in their web affect them?

spiders are the ones that steal from kegs at night. :D

i'd be happy it was there. hops is a plant-bugs eat plants-spiders eat bugs. another problem solves itself.

Well now I feel bad for tearing it's web up. Hopefully I didn't scare him away!!!!! Poor spider, just trying to help me out and i brutally tried attacking him with scissors :(

Scissors? You were afraid to touch the web with your hands? I'm not calling you a Pansy or anything, I'm just sayin'...

Bugs attract spiders.

Spiders eat bugs.

Spiders attract dobbers and hornets.

Dobbers and hornets take the spider carcass back to their larvae.

Keep the spiders. Look for dobber huts and hornet nests.

Hah. Glad you mentioned that, I have spiders and I've left them alone the wife was screaming today because she saw a small hornets nest at our front door. Hadn't put it together. Knocked the nest off with a broom and crushed it under my foot. No scissors necessary ;)

I only know because one day wihile sitting on toilet looking out the window I saw a dobber carry a bug into a mud hut. Flew away and within minutes came back with another.

After I finished my business I opened the window and broke open the hut. It was packed full of spider carcasses and had a single larvae inside. I waited for the dobber to come back and zapped it with spray.

Later that week I was tending my garden and noticed a hornet subdueing a spider. He picked it up and flew it drunkingly back to it's nest buried deep in a thicket of creeping juniper.

Within a week the thicket of juniper was gone.

Bee's I can handle and even appreciate. Wasps, hornets, dobbers, need to find someone elses gardens to live in.

Wasps eat potential garden pests including the venomous black widow spider. Adult wasps eat only pollen and nectar (or your soda at picnics). They only hunt for meat (insects, worms, your barbequed hamburgers) to feed their larvae. Wasps nests have only one purpose: to ensure the production of young. At the end of the nest’s cycle, every member of the nest, except emerging queens, dies.

Well, I cant imagine there would be anymore bees nest in my area then there was before, it's a pretty woody area I live in, and there's always bees.

And about the scissors, I just tear the web down with my hand, but the little jumping spider I tried attacking with the scissors. I didn't want to smoosh him with my hand! Otherwise I just flick them off too, but he was tricky. Bees, I'm a pansy witht hough :D

Back