Fresh wort on a yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nothreat

Reaction score
I have a rye pale ale in primary right now. I used US-05. I plan on letting it primary for another week or so, before I keg and let it set for a few weeks. I want to brew a Gumballhead right away after that. With the cost of dry yeast (my LHBS just doubled the price to $4), I also want to begin reusing yeast. Can I just pitch the fresh wort onto the yeast cake from the rye? If so, how much of the cake should use? Should I just siphon off all the liquid and leave the cake, or leave a 1/2 inch or so on the top of the cake? I now there is a lot of dead yeast in the cake, but I figure with fresh food, the live yeast will take off. Is that a safe assumption? Any advice would be appreciated.

You can pitch on top of a yeast cake, however, you'll want to make sure that you start off with a pretty mild batch. Using Rye in your last batch may cause that yeast cake to impart rye flavors onto your next batch. If you're brewing a big stout or porter, that may not be too bad. Might just be better off pitching new yeast and doing this next time.

ROT is to repitch 1/3 of the cake, just pour the slurry into a CLEAN jar, wrap the top with foil and pitch when ready. I seriously doubt you'll get any rye flavors in your new brew from the cake, but if the OG of the new brew is considerably less than the Rye brew I'd start fresh.

I have just poured the wort directly onto a fresh yeast cake from the kettle (after going through the chiller of course) with results which are fine. However I would not recommend using it in this manner multiple times. If you are interested in re-using yeast, I would wash it and pitch 1/3-1/2 when you brew your next batch.

I do 1/2 because it makes it easier for me to keep track of the different generations of yeast.

I reuse my yeast cake quite often and have been very pleased with the results. Make sure you rig up a blow-off hose, the fermentation will go really FAST. All those yeasties with a batch of fresh wort can get a bit explosive in just a few hours.

I reuse my yeast cake quite often and have been very pleased with the results. Make sure you rig up a blow-off hose, the fermentation will go really FAST. All those yeasties with a batch of fresh wort can get a bit explosive in just a few hours.

+1

I've blown two airlocks off of one batch when repitching

Back