Detergent ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for a detergent that I can mix up and leave in a spray bottle. I would imagine that PBW or Oxiclean would be useless over time. What do you guys think?

Cheers!!! :mug:
Chris

Starsan holds up pretty well in a bottle, but it isn't a detergent. You're much better off mixing fresh if you're looking to clean things, especially since you're going to have to rinse anyway...you're better off sticking to sanitizer in a spray bottle.

Oxyclean might eat through the thin plastic of a spray bottle. I'm not sure though. Something to think about. With the nature of cleansers I would prepare as neeed. :mug:

Oxyclean contains no surfactant, so it's not really a detergent. It biodegrades within an hour. Premixing oxyclean is akin to leaving the cap off of a bottle of hydrogen peroxide.
You might consider a citrus cleaner that contains d-limonene as the active ingredient. It's stable, has multiple uses and generally solutions are lower in ph with the same cleaning/degreasing ability as some of the higher alkaline solutions.

Back