rambling (long)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdhucks7

Reaction score
Ok I think I am drnuk but i am in the middle of my first AG and dadgum it! I have had a stuck sparge (uggggg) spilled grains and wort on my garage floor. (by the way doing Biermunchers C3C) only got about 5.5 in the kettle waiting on it to boil. I have had a few rogue deadguy ale's and more than a couple of my version out of the keg. I have almost destroyed my ss braid messing with the stuck sparge, made the dog mad cause she wanted to see what the fuss was all about and I made her stay in the house, and i think i might have scared SWMBO to boot.
I have been listening to Bob Marley and Jimmy Buffett the whole time so you would think i would be a whole lot more mellow but no. Dang it i have read so many threads that said "go AG it is easy, no problem, best time of my life" and I thought what the hey i can do that. So i assembled my equip. bought the grain. and pow, boom, bam, splat I start screwing up. I know my problem was the "braid" I attempted to make. I know I screwed it up but what the hey.
Now that the rant is over, I can really see how this will be a heck of a good time doing all grain! I have next Saturday to do with as I will and am planning on my next brew already! Now all I have to do is rebuild the SS braid and try again. Dont really have any questions but just wanted to vent to people who have had this happen to them and would understand.:tank:

SD

Sorry to hear about your troubles...but at least you're getting a buzz and listening to some good music! I had some problems just like that with my SS braid setup...not even a "stuck mash" really, the wort just wouldn't flow out of the MLT. I worked around this by totally removing the braid, and poured out the entire contents of the MLT through a steeping grain bag. I had to empty out the bag several times, but damn if that beer wasn't just as tasty!

Another idea would be to make a quick "papazian" bucket system. Just drill some 1/16 or 1/8" holes in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, and set that inside your brew kettle. Then dump the entire contents of your MLT into the bucket. Slowly lift the bucket out to separate the wort from the grains. Still a PITA, but it might get you past your stuck sparge. Good luck and let us know how it goes! :mug:

well I got it in the fermenter. I got drnuk and the beer got made. I hope it turns out ok. We will see thought.

SD

Checked this morning and it is bubbling away. Now the real wait begins. I am glad for the search option here on this board that dang thing helped alot! :mug:

SD

Back