Kegging Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentk14

Reaction score
I am going to enter the world of kegging. Cant wait but do have a few questions. What do you guys recommend, Pin Lock or Ball lock? also I was planning on for now just using the party keg dispenser since i will only have one keg for now. In the next month or so i will be adding atleast one more. I have heard from a few people that I wont be able to Force Carb if i use this method of dispenser. Is that true or Hogwash? Thanks for the help guys.

I use ball lock and not being able to force carb is bullsh*t. The dispensing method has nothing to do with carbonating it...

edit - I was thinking picnic tap and not party tap...see below for correct commentary from cnbudz

Go for the ball lock cornies. As for carbing, you need a co2 tank to force carb. If you plan on using a party tap with a hand pump on top, you will not be able to force carb and will have to prime like you would when bottling. Also, if you're using the hand pump party tap, the beer will oxidise in a couple days.

If you're using a party tap and a co2 tank to dispense, you can force carb

I am not going to be using the hand pump. isnt there a dispenser used with C02 that doesnt use the beer faucet mounted on the frig?

Ya i noticed right after i posted mine you had already answered my question. Thanks

actually one more question. Should I get the dual regulator or just single?

I'm reading further into it but I think he means the little CO2 chargers with the 12gram carts. In that case, no you can't force carb with them. Well, ok, you CAN but it takes about 2 cubic feet of gaseous CO2 to carb to 2 volumes and dispense the whole keg assuming no waste. That's .23 pounds of liquid CO2, 103 grams, or about NINE 12-gram cartridges. I wouldn't pay $9 per keg to carb and dispense.

Bobby_M said:
I'm reading further into it but I think he means the little CO2 chargers with the 12gram carts. In that case, no you can't force carb with them. Well, ok, you CAN but it takes about 2 cubic feet of gaseous CO2 to carb to 2 volumes and dispense the whole keg assuming no waste. That's .23 pounds of liquid CO2, 103 grams, or about NINE 12-gram cartridges. I wouldn't pay $9 per keg to carb and dispense.
Yes, I think you are correct. A CO2 tank is a must have if you want to force carb. When someone says "dispenser" I automatically think "beer out".

I will be using the 5Ib CO2. Looks like the Cobra dispenser. The one thing i am not certain on is the dual guage regulator or just the single.

Brentk14 said:
I will be using the 5Ib CO2. Looks like the Cobra dispenser. The one thing i am not certain on is the dual guage regulator or just the single.

If you plan on having 2 kegs eventually and you can afford it, get the dual regulator...

I have pin locks and they're just fine, but ball lock parts seem more readily available. I don't think the dual gauge is necessary, it's more for peace of mind to let you know there's still some CO2 left in your tank.

One thing I do recommend is to get 5 feet of 3/16 ID tubing for dispensing, helps to keep the foaming down when pouring.

I do recommend the dual guage regulator, it's nice to know when your CO2 is almost out, if you need to plan a trip to the HBS to refill it.

Dont want to start a new thread but my question is, I am going to be running 2 kegs and a 10 gal tank, Do I need a Double Co2 Reg. for 2 kegs? or can I use a Dual Gauge and a Distribution Block?

RICLARK said:
Dont want to start a new thread but my question is, I am going to be running 2 kegs and a 10 gal tank, Do I need a Double Co2 Reg. for 2 kegs? or can I use a Dual Gauge and a Distribution Block?
You can, but you'll have to run the same psi to both keg's.

Back