Are you lazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamming

Reaction score
Ok. buddy says to me i want to try home brewing and he is a lazy dude by trade. I am always going if you know what i mean, So i give him a bunch of starter brew stuff. He comes over for a brew day "all grain" i show him all i can referencing the stuff i gave him. Basic carboy Ect. So i visit him a month later and he has done nothing. WTF. He gives me all the gear back. Makes me wonder>

Home brewers must be active people are you ?

To Much work he says. :D

I woudlnt call myself overly active, I like my lounge time. I think it may just come down to "do you want it bad enough". To make good beer you have to expend some energy learning about it and developing your process etc. To some the task appears quite daunting..

I started brewing with my buddy about 8 years ago. He stopped after a couple of years and I continued. He wanted to get back into it about 6 months ago, so I bought him all the stuff needed for a mash tun cooler, except the cooler. He said he was going to buy one and never did. He has all the equipment but the cooler to brew and never has. In fact I still have one of his carboys. Never gave me an excuse why he never bought the cooler and started brewing. I really don't like lazy people..oh well

I'm pretty lazy. At least by my father's definition....

But I don't mind the "work" of homebrewing because it's a hobby. It gives me a way to spend my time on weekends other than watching an entire season of some mindless garbage on Netflix, and the fruits of my labor are pretty damn rewarding. Nothing about it is "hard", it's just time consuming. Hell, I get to drink beer while I do it, so it can't be all that bad.

If I wanted "easy" beer though, I'd just go buy it. Likewise, people who just want "beer" but have no interest in taking an active role in the process will never get into the hobby.

My brothers are this way. They both dabbled in homebrewing briefly, but gave it up just as quickly as it was too much "work" for them. They both appreciate good beer (almost) as much as I do, and sure don't seem to mind drinking my homebrew, but apparently they don't find the DIY aspect of it as fascinating as I do.

I started brewing with my buddy about 8 years ago. He stopped after a couple of years and I continued. He wanted to get back into it about 6 months ago, so I bought him all the stuff needed for a mash tun cooler, except the cooler. He said he was going to buy one and never did. He has all the equipment but the cooler to brew and never has. In fact I still have one of his carboys. Never gave me an excuse why he never bought the cooler and started brewing. I really don't like lazy people..oh well

Lazy to me is also a difficult question of character. Stupid now is another thing. :D

I'm pretty lazy. At least by my father's definition....

But I don't mind the "work" of homebrewing because it's a hobby. It gives me a way to spend my time on weekends other than watching an entire season of some mindless garbage on Netflix, and the fruits of my labor are pretty damn rewarding. Nothing about it is "hard", it's just time consuming. Hell, I get to drink beer while I do it, so it can't be all that bad.

If I wanted "easy" beer though, I'd just go buy it. Likewise, people who just want "beer" but have no interest in taking an active role in the process will never get into the hobby.

My brothers are this way. They both dabbled in homebrewing briefly, but gave it up just as quickly as it was too much "work" for them. They both appreciate good beer (almost) as much as I do, and sure don't seem to mind drinking my homebrew, but apparently they don't find the DIY aspect of it as fascinating as I do.

I think we are all lazy in pops eyes. I grew up on a pig farm in WVA if your not doing something your lazy. But people these days don't do squat when it comes to hard work. My buddy is a good guy and does like homebrew but i guess the Tv is where its at.

I tend to drag my feet quite a bit when it comes to brewing. When I look at my fresh ingredients for a batch I get all happy and excited, but then I start pulling out equipment and I start to sigh. I will be the first to admit that I'm lazy. I know it sounds hopeless, but it sometimes works in my favor. A person once told me "if you want to find the easiest solution to a problem, ask a lazy person" and I agree. I've come up with all sorts of ridiculous things so that I don't have to go through great lengths on brewday.

I bought one of those krinkle hoses because I got sick and tired to draining hoses and rolling them up. Try one out. They're awesome.
0009729802296_300X300.jpg

I use quick-disconnects on nearly everything, because I got sick and tired of having to use a screwdriver and hose clamps...not only has it saved time but it's saved my fingers. I throw everything into large clear tupperware containers because I'm too lazy to hunt down stuff when I need to use it. I have two propane tanks (maybe 3? too lazy to check) because I don't like going to the store as often. I may not have a sweet stainless steel brewbench, but I have a plastic table that folds in half that I can stuff behind a couch or washer until I feel like walking to the garage. I have dozens of unlabeled bottles from years past. Lazy you say? Mystery beer I say. So while some people might be "go go go" about their brewing...I just sit back with a cold one and take it in stride.

some people just "get it" others don't. I didn't know anything about craft beer 14 months ago. I dipped my toes in the water and it seemed that each new beer I tried was better than the last. Soon after, I tried brewing. Now it's nearly all I think about. I Love it. I'd really rather have a mediocre beer that I made than a beer that the masses call really good. Others are quite content to get a sixer of Newcastle...smh

I get not feeling it. I typically brew in spurts. Two brews at a time every few weeks. Rest awhile. Enjoy the results. But I always keep coming back to the brew pot. :D

I go threw highs and lows of laziness. I will go full out on projects around the house and brewing. Then two weeks later I will be daydreaming about sleep and looking forward to a nap on the couch after work. Nap, dinner, tv then bed. Again in two weeks I will come home after work and do projects till sundown.

some people just "get it" others don't./QUOTE]

But thats were we as home-brewers come into play. To help our friends or others better understand craft beer. That same friend has come to my house and brewed two beers with me. I told him I would help him with his setup and system until he is comfortable brewing on his own.

I'm the kind of guy who, once I get into something, I get into it full force. I want to be the best to know the most, so that is what drives me in almost everything. I dunno why. I spend a lot of my "down time" coming up with and tweaking recipes that I haven't even tried yet. So far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When I finally get it in my head to do something,I'm gung ho. Just being older kinda slows it down to spurts though. Like the last few days,I've been writing articles,taking pics along the way as well. Working all day to get my book on amazon/Kindle Fire. By the weekend,it's beer time!

Ok. buddy says to me i want to try home brewing and he is a lazy dude by trade. I am always going if you know what i mean, So i give him a bunch of starter brew stuff. He comes over for a brew day "all grain" i show him all i can referencing the stuff i gave him. Basic carboy Ect. So i visit him a month later and he has done nothing. WTF. He gives me all the gear back. Makes me wonder>

I wonder why some people begin with Coopers Toucan?

I'm not lazy. Your friend just may not feel like he'd enjoy the hobby but it doesn't make him lazy, does it?

Remember, big problem for many of us is fragmentation! I brew, smoke meat, getting everything for making jerky, average 50-60 hours work week, rebuilding wife's house(yes , wife's house..and worth getting drunk over trying to explain). But yes I fully consider myself VERY lazy.

some people just "get it" others don't.

But thats were we as home-brewers come into play. To help our friends or others better understand craft beer. That same friend has come to my house and brewed two beers with me. I told him I would help him with his setup and system until he is comfortable brewing on his own.

One can appreciate craft beer without being into home brewing.

I've had friends come over to help me brew who, at the end of the day, would rather just go buy a sixer of microbrew (or mooch off of my stash) than invest the time and equipment and effort to make their own beer on a regular basis. Just because they enjoy drinking and brewing with you on occasion does not mean they want to take up a new hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm pretty active at work through the fall, winter, and spring when I'm working 55-60 hour weeks. my wife & I are pretty active with our boys and projects around the yard & house. any time I have to be lazy & lounge, I carpe that diem.

I am lazy if I don't have anything to do, I will sit and lounge all day, but I hate it. That is why I brew, garden, cook, BBQ, can, etc... It keeps me busy.

I don't think I am lazy because I make stuff for myself to do, but if I don't have things with a purpose I can't get off my ass.

[
0009729802296_300X300.jpg

I thought this was a hop costume at first glance:p
I am not quite lazy, but not a nut buster either :D
I do enjoy the process, which in the end is good to drink (so far).
Tom

Yeah, I'm lazy. I often brew rather than tackle a lot of the honey-do projects waiting for me. Of course you can only delay these things for so long; a man has to know his limits. (as defined by the Mrs.)

Yes, I am lazy. Very very lazy. However, if there is a benefit to be had for a reasonable amount of work then I happily get the work done. I hate to work to just be busy. My dad calls it puttering and he loves it. For many people brewing feels mystical or mad science.

I'm not lazy, just out of synch with the daytime world.....12 hour night shifts (18:45 to 07:15) floor nursing does not allow ANY time for laziness (contrary to popular belief, many patients in the hospital don't sleep at night and are just plain batshat crazy), and I'm usually exhausted for at least a day when I'm off and trying to adjust to days, and it takes a day to get back in synch to go back to working nights....I'm happy to get my 3/4 acre of grass cut in a timely manner.
As far as brewing, I make meads for the most part anymore.....much less time consuming in actually making, but there's the insufferable wait 'til it's truly ready to drink, so I usually have several fermentors full of something going (2x5 gal primary buckets, 3x5 gal carboys, a 3 gal carboy, and 4x1 gal jugs for the mad experiments). I have to stock up on empty bottles right about now, am likely gonna have to buy sone, as I can't drink that much good beer fast enough...heh

I'm lazy, when it comes to stuff I don't want to do. I love my down time and getting to relax. I hate to use this comparison again, because I tend to throw it out all the time, but here it goes, I will compare it to golf. I like golf, I find it somewhat enjoyable and if I have a lot of friends who are going to go play, I'll usually tag along with them. Now, you could give me a new set of clubs and even a gift certificate to the local course, but I would never get up Saturday morning by myself and go golf, probably wouldn't even go hit balls, It's just not that much of a thing for me.

Now brewing is the exact opposite. I really do enjoy brewing beer as much as drinking it. I think in the end, that's the key. Most of us probably think people are crazy for not brewing their own beer, but for most, buying what they want at the store is just what suits them. Rather than get up Saturday morning and brew, they would rather go play golf, jog, or hell, sit on the couch and watch TV all day.

Most people I know enjoy drinking beer way more than making it. All the equipment in the world wouldn't change that. They just have other things that are more important to them. Don't get me wrong, I'm a lazy guy, but that's just it, my way of relaxing and being lazy (i.e. not doing stuff I don't want to do) is to brew. Nothing says lazy to me like sitting in a chair, with a cigar and a beer, telling my wife, "Sorry, I have to watch the mash."

Not so much lazy, I just prefer to wait until the last minute!

Ah yes, I think procrastinating comes out of laziness. I'm definitely a procrastinator. I'm also lazy, but I get stuff done eventually.
I need to vacuum my house, for instance. Been telling myself that for a couple weeks now. It takes all of 10 minutes, I don't know why I don't just DO IT.

I wonder why some people begin with Coopers Toucan?

Is this what you mean? It seems like this guys buddy just dumped two cans into the fermenter, added water, yeast and dry-hops... no boil beer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Did you explain to him that what he would be doing is much easier than a much more complicated and longer process of all-grain brewing?

Because I'm wondering if he didn't get turned off because he was overwhelmed by sitting in on what an experienced brewer does.

The sell for a new brewer is that it really is as easy as following a simple recipe and following a few pages of instructions from the Crash Course section of John Palmer's How to Brew book (which you print online). Let them get into it before you hit them with how much more in-depth it can get. It's supposed to be fun, and learning more than is needed to start is not going to be fun until they're really into it.

As for me, I'm definitely one of those who's lazy, but can't get enough when I get into something. But I do love any shortcut that can cut down on the janitorial work, like rinsing my stuff in PBW or Oxiclean (sometimes bleach) and rinsing instead of scrubbing much. May have to cut that out though if we have a drought, because it is really wasteful of water.

Keen to get a brew going, lazy when it comes to tidying up afterwards. More a procrastinator actually - I'm supposed to be packing up the house to move, instead I'm setting up a time lapse..

I have had those times where after brewing a batch, I don't feel like scrubbing out my BK or mash tun. If I get to it the next day or so, no problem, it rinses out easy enough. My last batch I didn't empty and rinse my mash tun, and I had been wondering what that nasty smell was out in the garage...
I have more than my fair share of just lazy days, and being out of work doesn't help. I procrastinated organizing my garage after we moved in to our house a year and a half ago. During the last 4 or 5 days, I got the garage done. I was motivated for some reason, and that was good, as both my wife and I were tired of looking at it. Sorry off topic.
I do enjoy the kudos of a well made beer, but it is really about cost. When a 5 gallon batch costs very close to the same as 2 six packs from the store, home brewing wins every time.

I'm lazy. I have lots to do. I could probably get more done if I were more ambitious and planned better and all kinds of things. But I really try not to be lazy when brewing. The fact is, it's not hard, and if you prepare and clean as you go, it's easy.

I think some people just don't enjoy craft or homemade beer enough to want to put forth the effort to get good and efficient at making it. I find the process interesting.

I can be lazy at times, but I've always had the mindset of doing something right the first time rather than half-asked. I'm passionate about brewing and I want a quality product. Doing a double brew day can be fun when you care.

I am lazy but brewing isnt that labor intensive and i don't even use any pumps. Half the time i'm just sitting there waiting, while smoking a stogie. I also enjoy the process, not just the finished product.

Everyone is lazy to a certain degree, but the process is interesting, fun, and really rewarding, so it's never work..I envy the guys/gals who do this professionally, never having to really 'go to work'.

I go through stages I either go like hell or drink beer and watch TV. I found local brewery that does me a keg of red at 6.8abv for $165. I can't make it that cheap because I only do extracts. Now I just buy it.

I am,as many would put it, lazy... UNTIL I get into something.Brewing beer is a brand new endeavor which I'm enjoying to the fullest. Are the two endeavors different? I'd say, somewhat but not totally. There are parallels and a similar mindset to be sure... Some of us are DIY MINDED while others would rather simply enjoy the final product. It is what it is...

No worries,
d

Back