Could someone please explain this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahahahhahahahahahhahaa sorry ...i guess lol

hell, you didn't make me move to MN. we knew what the winters were like & moved here anyway. someday though, we'll be south/southwest in that warm weather. if we never get our store up & running here.:rockin:

hell, you didn't make me move to MN. we knew what the winters were like & moved here anyway. someday though, we'll be south/southwest in that warm weather. if we never get our store up & running here.:rockin:

I will tell you this..its awful to get sunburned while in the pool in what's suppose to be winter lol...btw Cheers :)

I'll brew inside if it's REALLY cold(got a big gas stove) but I like brewing outside on the covered porch. I made up a lid for my keggle that has two notches for my chiller hose, and have a lid for my fermenter that has a hole for the keggle spigot. I've never had an infection, and the bug factor is nill in the winter. I fire up the redneck chimenea (55 gal burn barrel) and I'm good to go.:tank:

For about $350 (US), we built a fire pit in our back yard. I can get 7 gallons to a full rolling boil in less than an hour over a set and ready fire. Wort returns to a full boil within 7 minutes of adding extract and DME (in solution) and hot break within 15.

Found the 8 gallon enameled steel canning pot on the curb one garbage day. They cost about $45 new.

The wood was leftover untreated cedar fence lumber. (wish I could afford to use that all the time) This was either the first test boil or the test batch of porter.

001 018.jpg

For about $350 (US), we built a fire pit in our back yard. I can get 7 gallons to a full rolling boil in less than an hour over a set and ready fire. Wort returns to a full boil within 7 minutes of adding extract and DME (in solution) and hot break within 15.

Now that is real bewing! I have a firepit in my yard. Never thought about using it though.

How much wood do you go through?

Do you get any smoky flavors in the beer?

Now that is real bewing! I have a firepit in my yard. Never thought about using it though.

How much wood do you go through?

Do you get any smoky flavors in the beer?

I usually start with small sticks of red oak and birch (the mix we get from our firewood guy), then rebuild the fire with birch logs, and again with thicker oak logs. So about 16-18 logs to get the bed laid and then another 8-10 over the course f the brew t keep the fire right up under the kettle and the temperature steady.

I don't know how much smoky flavor this might add, as all I have tasted from this brewing process is Porter. I kept making Northern Brewer's St. Paul Porter until I had the kinks worked out of the process (about 3 batches).

Back