A1 typical white labs explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatschmaltez

Reaction score
Today I was making a starter from a new WLP833 vial for a Munich Helles that is going to be around 1.048 starting gravity. The starter I made is 2L, 200 grams of extract and a little yeast nutrient. Problem is I open the vial and yeast explodes everywhere, I'm guessing I lost about a third of the yeast. Based on Mr. Malty I was just barely going to make the pitch rate with 1 vial, stir plate, and a 2L starter. Now obviously I'll be lower. It's my first time using this yeast so my question is should I go ahead and use whatever the starter yields (Mr. Malty estimates around 250 billion) or should I do another starter with the 250 billion to get up to the appropriate yeast count?. I do not know how forgiving this yeast is on something like pitch rate so wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any experience. Appreciate the feed back.

If you have time do a step up to another 2L when this one is finished.

Here's the trick with those vials. Open then slowly while they are very cold right out of the fridge, before agitating them. Then warm and shake, releasing gas periodically...you won't get the explosion at this point.

I do kinda the opposite of what heli does, I shake up the vial and get everything into suspension then throw the vial into the freezer for 3-5 minutes. I find that's enough time that the shaken up CO2 fades and the yeast hasn't yet settled.

That is something that kinda sucks about white labs but I had a few too many smack packs not smack or already smacked and not take.

Either make a second starter, or let the starter go for twice as long instead to try and get a bigger cultivation. It sounds like you still managed to save 2/3 of the vial, and its a low gravity beer so I think you'll be ok. But I've never personally used the yeast.

Yeah, normally I open them carefully but I was in a hurry and just messed up. I'll do two starters, no need to risk the quality of the beer when I can just make another starter. Thanks

Here's the trick with those vials. Open then slowly while they are very cold right out of the fridge, before agitating them. Then warm and shake, releasing gas periodically...you won't get the explosion at this point.

This is always my advice for the vials.

That being said, with your "low" gravity brew you should be fine with a single 2 L starter.
:mug:

Since it's a for a lager, I'd try and get close to the pitch rate but you'll probably be fine pitching what you have if it meant pushing back a brew day.

Yeah, this is for a 5 gallon batch. I'm currently chilling down the 2L starter and plan to step it up tonight to make a brew day for Sunday so no worries. I'll let the phase 2 starter work tonight and then put it in the fridge Saturday morning. Should be ready to decant Sunday evening for pitching. Tight schedule but workable. I don't like starting out the gate on a new brew already behind so the extra work I think is worth it.

If you have time do a step up to another 2L when this one is finished.

If this would have been clear the first time I use WL yeast I probably would still be using it instead of smack packs from Wyeast.

I'm now spoiled and will only use Wyeast or yeast harvested by myself.

Back