Combining Two WLP Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We are brewing two Hefeweizen batches today. We have the WLP380 and WLP300 yeasts and were wondering what it would do if we combined the two. Has anyone tried that before, if so, what results did you get? We prefer the 380 over the 300, but have both yeasts on hand and need to use them up. Thanks for your input.

If it were me I would split the batch and ferment each with a different yeast to compare the result in taste with only one variable. If you pitched them together it wouldn't hurt anything but one might competitively inhibit the other slightly. The great news is you will be starting with a very good pitch rate of yeast for a 5 gallon batch. Do what ever strikes your fancy!

I agree with mnm. If you want to blend them after fermentation you can choose which characteristics come through with blend amounts.

That's a good idea. Didn't think of that. You could be like a wine blender then and call it something crazy like the winemakers call blends.

Back