Recipe Advice on an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo-Brewer

Reaction score
I am wanting to make an golden colored IPA with a grapefruit bite and a nice finish.
At the moment I am thinking about using Amarillo, Cascade, and then Fuggles hops in the boiling process. Will this work out nicely as far as hops go? If you have any suggestions on hops and malts I would greatly appreciate it? :mug: :rockin:

The cascade and amarillo will give you that fruity flavor you are looking for. Perhaps consider a healthy late hop addition to accentuate the citrus flavor and aroma.

As for malts, if you are looking for golden, keep any specialty malts to the lighter side.

I am just loving amarillo lately. I just kegged my all-amarillo IPA and it tastes and smells awesome (even flat and green).

Look up TheJadedDog's Amarillo IPA recipe in the recipes section (under India Pale Ale). I brewed that recipe and added one ounce of amarillo as a dry hop for 2 weeks. It's awesome. Best beer I have ever brewed, as a matter of fact.

I just did an all Columbus IPA and it's extremely grapefruit-y. I've also read that Amarillo is similiar. Might wanna throw some in there.

I'm gonna have to try Columbus too then. And Simcoe was already on the list too.

So many hops, so little time... :)

I think columbus and centennial make for a pretty big grapefruit punch. Here's a quick thought on a recipe.

OG - 1.056
IBU - 58

11# 2-row (if extract substitute 8.5# light dme)
1/2# crystal 40L

1/4 oz columbus (60)
1 oz centennial (20)
3/4 oz columbus (15)
1 oz centennial (10)
1 oz amarillo (5)

dry hop with some kind of blend of those hops and cascade. make the blend 1-2 oz total.

US-05 yeast

I know Lagunitas uses mainly Willamette in their IPA and it has some grapefruit to it for sure (maybe replace for the Fuggles?). But I know Centennial can produce some nice fruitiness as well as Simcoe. Just make sure your malt bill is simple (like 95% 2-row) and that you ferment with a clean yeast like California Ale (WLP001) and at the lower end of the temp range (68F). This will help the hops shine through. Good luck.

This is all very helpful information thank you everybody.
I have a good feeling about this beer.

Back