Gelatin troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayrome2722

Reaction score
So I made a pinot noir and I tried to use gelatin to completely clear it. (First time trying it) I boiled water, let it cool some, then mixed in gelatin, waited 20 minutes and dumped it in. It cleared about halfway down and stuck. I figured I didn't use enough so I made some more, same procedure, and dumped it in. Now its even worse, and is only cleared about 1/4 of the way down. What did I do wrong? Can it be fixed?

Note that gelatin will strip the tannin out of your pinot noir along with the protein for which it is usually added to remove. It is typical to counter-fine with tannin when using gelatin in order to drop the gelatin out of the wine and make for more compact lees. You can also use a silica-gel (http://www.piwine.com/silica-gel-kieselsol-nalco-1072-30-percent-colloidal-16-oz.html) instead of tannin. I would suggest counter-fining with either tannin or the silica.

Back