Dumb Boil Size Question and Bavarian Hef ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tator22

Reaction score
So I just order a couple extract kits from AHS. This will probably be a dumb question, but here it goes. It says on the directions to boil 2.5 gallons of water, but my question is can I just start out with 5 gallons of water since I have a large turkey fryer pot being heated by propane?? Also any suggestions on how to make their Bavarian Hef better beyond their directions? I have heard adding half of the extract at the last 15 minutes of boil time instead of all of it at the beginning? Thanks

Hey Tator. Used to live in Ankeny.
From what I know boiling the full volume in general is better, but it will affect the hops utilization so you will probably want to adjust them. Also adding some of the extract later will give you a lighter color and potentially better flavor. You could try emailing AHS and asking them,I've found them very responsive and helpful

Hey thanks spokaniac. Ankeny is booming in size, it is crazy how much it has expanded even in the last year.

Probably wouldn't recognize it. Haven't been back since like '82. Heard it is pretty much all the way to Des Moines now too.

Latest posts

Back