BIAB Water Volume Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerNut24

Reaction score
Can anyone point me to or know of a water volume calculator (non-metric) for determining the required starting water volume for BAIB. I want to end up with 5 gallons in the fermentor. Thanks in advance.

Don

I think it depends a lot on your anticipated boil off amounts, which depends on how 'hard' you boil, pot width and such, but I've heard if you overshoot by 2x your desired yield, you'll be fine. So 10 gallons.

The biabrewer.info website has a lot of information on this, and a spreadsheet that you can download if you sign up there. Not sure actually if it's against forum rules to point to another forum...but I'll take the chance I suppose. It's a handy sheet!

i'd say 10 gallons of water is too much is you want to end up with a 5 gallon batch. i find that 6 to 6.5 gallons leaves me with 5 gallons of wort in the bucket. i use a 7.5 gallon bayou classic kettle so it's pretty narrow and keeps the boil off to a minimum. i just bought a 10 gallon Blichmann and my first brew in that will be on saturday so we'll see where my volume goes in that kettle.

You can find a couple of calculators on the BIAB forums, see my sig for the link! You have to register to download them though, which is a bit of a PITA, but its worth it.

The BIAB forum psyche and dantheman mention is a really good,active forum prtty much dedicated to BIAB.I don't see any reason not to mention them here.It was actually a link I gound on their site that brought me here.I am now a member of both.
Here is the link,let's see if it is allowed.
http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=286
PS.One nice thing about their calculator is that it takes into account the diameter of your brew pot when figuring the evaporatoon rates.

Back