Plate chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
So I am starting from scratch. Its been a year since I last brewed and really can't wait to get back into it. I moved and hence sold all my old equipment. This time I want to do it right the first time. I have brewed enough to know I will no longer be bottling. I would at some point like to do 10 gallon batches as well. Thus, I was thinking of investing in a plate chiller after researching all the options on here. It seems the shirron plate chiller will work great, only problem is how does it work. What other parts do I need to buy (fittings, pumps, ect.) I am taking my time gathering all the things I need and trying to do it right the first time. Is there a web site that shows exactly how it works because after Googling it a bunch of times I am still confused for some reason. Although cooling 10 gallons in under 30 minutes sounds great in concept.

So I am starting from scratch. Its been a year since I last brewed and really can't wait to get back into it. I moved and hence sold all my old equipment. This time I want to do it right the first time. I have brewed enough to know I will no longer be bottling. I would at some point like to do 10 gallon batches as well. Thus, I was thinking of investing in a plate chiller after researching all the options on here. It seems the shirron plate chiller will work great, only problem is how does it work. What other parts do I need to buy (fittings, pumps, ect.) I am taking my time gathering all the things I need and trying to do it right the first time. Is there a web site that shows exactly how it works because after Googling it a bunch of times I am still confused for some reason. Although cooling 10 gallons in under 30 minutes sounds great in concept.

The issues are keeping those things clean and probably needing a pump rather than gravity to feed the wort. Even with back flushing, they eventually get crusties inside and require caustics to clean (or so I've read). That said, most that have them seem to like them....again, so I've read.

Back